NEW THEME LEAGUE - World Series - If you can't beat em

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

hackra

Re: NEW THEME LEAGUE - World Series - If you can't beat em

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 5:13 pm

I think Garrett will need to chime in on these issues, but My take would be that you must use the card that qualifies for your team except for the 2 pitchers and 1 hitter that you may supplement your team with.

I would be okay with a variation of Tom or Harry's thoughts about pitchers to supplement the 2 groupings with zero pitchers over $8 Mil. - 13 pitchers including: Walter Johnson (Senators), Slim Jones (NeL), Mike Scott (Astros), JR Richard (Astros), Larry Dierker (Astros), Johan Santana (Twins), Randy Johnson (Diamondbacks), Curt Schilling (Diamondbacks), Randy Jones (Padres), Tom Seaver (Mets), Dwight Gooden (Mets), Teddy Higuerra (Brewers), and Mike Caldwell (Brewers) are are over $8 mil. and would be eligible for any team. (Satchel Paige is not on this list as he would belong to the Indians in his cheaper card)

How these pitchers are divied up may be problematic.....Maybe we can say they are just off limits in the autodraft except for the teams corresponding to groups 9&10 and then available to anyone else after the frenzy.

drfreeze49

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 5:27 pm

I am fine with carded player only but I am unsure about picking up a hitter and a pitcher all...too...unless every one is afforded those options including NEL players........

hackra

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 6:01 pm

This was included in the original post -

Because some of these franchises may have a shortcoming (e.g., hard to find closer or relief), it is permitted that each owner may go outside of his franchise set for AT MOST 1 HITTER and AT MOST 2 PITCHERS. In doing so, he may not infringe on the franchise player set of another owner; rather he may utilize the 1 hitter and 2 pitchers from among these sets: NeL, Senators, Expos, Mets, Astros, Padres, Brewers, Twins, Mariners, Rockies, Diamondbacks.

bontomn

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 8:31 pm

I think we need a ruling from Garrett on this one--and I think we need it soon before this could-be-interesting league idea dies in the dust. I'm also afraid that if we don't bolster the Nos. 9 and 10 teams, we may already be dead.

drfreeze49

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 5:40 am

I have team 9. I am okay with pitching since the bullpen is excellent. As long as I / we can pick a player that will help... I even think the Balt/Pitt franchise will be okay with a pickup. And the Phil's have a bunch of good hitters. But I think the db/pre Reds offer nothing and White sox will be slim. This will be the show stopper in my "o"
Last edited by drfreeze49 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

visick

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 11:50 am

Maybe somebody should take the hand off from Garrett and run with this league. He seems to be M.I.A.

boyer14

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 4:04 pm

I thought about entering this league and looked at the White Sox-Reds combo but did not find enough talent there to make it competitive with many others.

Somebody suggested earlier that managers could be randomized to each group rather than have them hand-selected. Seems like a more equitable method to me.

visick

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 5:25 pm

Unless you are the managers that get the " weaker" squads.

I don't mind bolstering a few teams, as long as we can agree on... A. The teams to bolster and B. Who gets added.

From there, I'm fine with randomizing the teams.

bontomn

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 9:47 pm

We need three more managers and Garrett doesn't appear to be monitoring this thread. How about giving the first three FA (non-affiliated to any of the listed franchises) picks to anyone taking the unclaimed pairs, Pick one of them and name your FA choice. The rest of us will have to use our FA picks in the autodraft. This work for anybody?

drfreeze49

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 9:56 pm

Fine with me.....................
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats