NEW THEME LEAGUE - World Series - If you can't beat em

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

ycbill

Re: NEW THEME LEAGUE - World Series - If you can't beat em

PostSat Aug 23, 2014 5:19 pm

FRANKMANSUETO wrote:This league is being themed by pairing up franchises that had memorably faced each other in one or more World Series. Hence the idea that in their World Series battles, "If you can't beat em, join em" whereby we do bring them together here; thus the league name.

Because some of these franchises may have a shortcoming (e.g., hard to find closer or relief), it is permitted that each owner may go outside of his franchise set for AT MOST 1 HITTER and AT MOST 2 PITCHERS. In doing so, he may not infringe on the franchise player set of another owner; rather he may utilize the 1 hitter and 2 pitchers from among these sets: NeL, Senators, Expos, Mets, Astros, Padres, Brewers, Twins, Mariners, Rockies, Diamondbacks.

So below are the franchises to be chosen, and the World Series upon which they're essentially based. Please reply with the one you will pick to let others know. (I pick the 1st one based on the very first World Series ...) When ready, you may pick your teams. PASSWORD = wsjoin

OK, I'll try as well. I'll take Cubs-Tigers. But I still think you'd attract more managers by randomizing the picks. Without that, I suspect the league won't fill.

1. BOS-db, BOS-pre, PIT-db, PIT-pre - In honor of the very 1st World Series in 1903 pitting Boston against Pittsburgh. (PICKED by GARRETT)
2. CHC (all), DET (all) - In honor of the Cubs - Tigers World Series matchups of 1907, 1908, 1935, 1945. (Picked by bontomn)
3. CHW (all), CIN-db, CIN-pre - In (dis)honor of the Black Sox Scandal series of 1919.
4. NYG-db, NYG-pre, PHA-db, PHA-pre - In honor of the old Giants - A's series of 1905, 1911, 1913.(picked by ycbill)
5. NYY-db, NYY-pre, STL-db, STL-pre - In honor of the Yanks - Cards series of 1926, 1928, 1942, 1943. (picked by hackra)
6. CLE (all), BSB-db, BSB-pre, ATl-exp - In honor of the Indians - Braves series of 1948, 1995.(selected by harryc)
7. NYY-post, NYY-exp, BKN-post, LA-exp - In honor of the Yanks - Dodgers series of the 1950s, 1977, 1978, 1981. (Picked by FrankM)
8. BOS-post, BOS-exp, STL-post, STL-exp - In honor of the Red Sox - Cards series of 1967, 2004, 2013. (PICKED BY MUSIAL6)
9. CIN-post, CIN-exp, PHA-post, OAK-exp - In honor of the Reds - A's series of 1972, 1990.
10. BAL-post, BAL-exp, PIT-post, PIT-exp - In honor of the Orioles - Pirates series of 1971, 1979.
11. PHI (all), KC-exp, TOR-exp - In honor of the Phillies series with Royals (1980) and Blue Jays (1993).
12. NYG-post, SF-exp, CAL-exp, TEX-exp - In honor of the Giants series with Angels (2002) and Rangers (2010).

Indicate your teams, pick them, and let's see how fun this one will play out. Again, password is: wsjoin

FRANKMANSUETO

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 6:58 am

Bump.

visick

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 9:35 am

This league is being themed by pairing up franchises that had memorably faced each other in one or more World Series. Hence the idea that in their World Series battles, "If you can't beat em, join em" whereby we do bring them together here; thus the league name.

Because some of these franchises may have a shortcoming (e.g., hard to find closer or relief), it is permitted that each owner may go outside of his franchise set for AT MOST 1 HITTER and AT MOST 2 PITCHERS. In doing so, he may not infringe on the franchise player set of another owner; rather he may utilize the 1 hitter and 2 pitchers from among these sets: NeL, Senators, Expos, Mets, Astros, Padres, Brewers, Twins, Mariners, Rockies, Diamondbacks.

So below are the franchises to be chosen, and the World Series upon which they're essentially based. Please reply with the one you will pick to let others know. (I pick the 1st one based on the very first World Series ...) When ready, you may pick your teams. PASSWORD = wsjoin

OK, I'll try as well. I'll take Cubs-Tigers. But I still think you'd attract more managers by randomizing the picks. Without that, I suspect the league won't fill.

1. BOS-db, BOS-pre, PIT-db, PIT-pre - In honor of the very 1st World Series in 1903 pitting Boston against Pittsburgh. (PICKED by GARRETT)
2. CHC (all), DET (all) - In honor of the Cubs - Tigers World Series matchups of 1907, 1908, 1935, 1945. (Picked by bontomn)
3. CHW (all), CIN-db, CIN-pre - In (dis)honor of the Black Sox Scandal series of 1919.
4. NYG-db, NYG-pre, PHA-db, PHA-pre - In honor of the old Giants - A's series of 1905, 1911, 1913.(picked by ycbill)
5. NYY-db, NYY-pre, STL-db, STL-pre - In honor of the Yanks - Cards series of 1926, 1928, 1942, 1943. (picked by hackra)
6. CLE (all), BSB-db, BSB-pre, ATl-exp - In honor of the Indians - Braves series of 1948, 1995.(selected by harryc)
7. NYY-post, NYY-exp, BKN-post, LA-exp - In honor of the Yanks - Dodgers series of the 1950s, 1977, 1978, 1981. (Picked by FrankM)
8. BOS-post, BOS-exp, STL-post, STL-exp - In honor of the Red Sox - Cards series of 1967, 2004, 2013. (PICKED BY MUSIAL6)
9. CIN-post, CIN-exp, PHA-post, OAK-exp - In honor of the Reds - A's series of 1972, 1990.
10. BAL-post, BAL-exp, PIT-post, PIT-exp - In honor of the Orioles - Pirates series of 1971, 1979.
11. PHI (all), KC-exp, TOR-exp - In honor of the Phillies series with Royals (1980) and Blue Jays (1993).
12. NYG-post, SF-exp, CAL-exp, TEX-exp - In honor of the Giants series with Angels (2002) and Rangers (2010).(picked by visick)

Indicate your teams, pick them, and let's see how fun this one will play out. Again, password is: wsjoin

hackra

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 3:38 pm

This league is being themed by pairing up franchises that had memorably faced each other in one or more World Series. Hence the idea that in their World Series battles, "If you can't beat em, join em" whereby we do bring them together here; thus the league name.

12. NYG-post, SF-exp, CAL-exp, TEX-exp - In honor of the Giants series with Angels (2002) and Rangers (2010).(picked by visick)

4 pairings left to pick-teams can enter league now

drfreeze49

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 5:01 pm

11. PHI (all), KC-exp, TOR-exp - In honor of the Phillies series with Royals (1980) and Blue Jays (1993). (Picked by DrFreeze)

danielz

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 8:07 pm

I like the idea. Just looked things over.
Franchises 9 and 10 have ZERO starting pitchers over the 8 million mark. In a league with a 175 cap, that spells 100 losses.
I'll pass

mrharryc

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 9:31 pm

Actually, the Pirates/Orioles combo does have McNally at over 9 mil, but I think the point made is still a good one; the league rules do allow for adding two pitchers from non-selected franchises/Nel. That will certainly help.

bontomn

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 9:43 pm

How about giving each of the Nos. 9 and 10 teams automatic draft rights to one $8 mil+ SP from one of the franchises not on the list, such as Was db (Johnson), Bkn pre (Vance), Min exp (Santana) or Mil exp (Higuera)? Anybody choosing one of those two pairings can pick the SP of his choice. First come, first served.

drfreeze49

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 6:35 am

9. CIN-post, CIN-exp, PHA-post, OAK-exp - In honor of the Reds - A's series of 1972, 1990. (Picked by DrFreeze)

drfreeze49

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 4:21 pm

If a player has multiple cards...after you draft them for your specific card...can you change to any card the player might have or do you have to use your franchised card?
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats