NEW THEME LEAGUE - World Series - If you can't beat em

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

genegrid

Re: NEW THEME LEAGUE - World Series - If you can't beat em

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 5:30 pm

hackra wrote:This league is being themed by pairing up franchises that had memorably faced each other in one or more World Series. Hence the idea that in their World Series battles, "If you can't beat em, join em" whereby we do bring them together here; thus the league name.

Because some of these franchises may have a shortcoming (e.g., hard to find closer or relief), it is permitted that each owner may go outside of his franchise set for AT MOST 1 HITTER and AT MOST 2 PITCHERS. In doing so, he may not infringe on the franchise player set of another owner; rather he may utilize the 1 hitter and 2 pitchers from among these sets: NeL, Senators, Expos, Mets, Astros, Padres, Brewers, Twins, Mariners, Rockies, Diamondbacks.

So below are the franchises to be chosen, and the World Series upon which they're essentially based. Please reply with the one you will pick to let others know. (I pick the 1st one based on the very first World Series ...) When ready, you may pick your teams. PASSWORD = wsjoin

OK, I'll try as well. I'll take Cubs-Tigers. But I still think you'd attract more managers by randomizing the picks. Without that, I suspect the league won't fill.

1. BOS-db, BOS-pre, PIT-db, PIT-pre - In honor of the very 1st World Series in 1903 pitting Boston against Pittsburgh. (PICKED by GARRETT)
2. CHC (all), DET (all) - In honor of the Cubs - Tigers World Series matchups of 1907, 1908, 1935, 1945. (Picked by bontomn)
3. CHW (all), CIN-db, CIN-pre - In (dis)honor of the Black Sox Scandal series of 1919.(GENEGRID)
4. NYG-db, NYG-pre, PHA-db, PHA-pre - In honor of the old Giants - A's series of 1905, 1911, 1913.(picked by ycbill)
5. NYY-db, NYY-pre, STL-db, STL-pre - In honor of the Yanks - Cards series of 1926, 1928, 1942, 1943. (picked by hackra)
6. CLE (all), BSB-db, BSB-pre, ATl-exp - In honor of the Indians - Braves series of 1948, 1995.(selected by harryc)
7. NYY-post, NYY-exp, BKN-post, LA-exp - In honor of the Yanks - Dodgers series of the 1950s, 1977, 1978, 1981. (Picked by FrankM)
8. BOS-post, BOS-exp, STL-post, STL-exp - In honor of the Red Sox - Cards series of 1967, 2004, 2013. (PICKED BY MUSIAL6)
9. CIN-post, CIN-exp, PHA-post, OAK-exp - In honor of the Reds - A's series of 1972, 1990. (Picked by DrFreeze)
10. BAL-post, BAL-exp, PIT-post, PIT-exp - In honor of the Orioles - Pirates series of 1971, 1979.
11. PHI (all), KC-exp, TOR-exp - In honor of the Phillies series with Royals (1980) and Blue Jays (1993).
12. NYG-post, SF-exp, CAL-exp, TEX-exp - In honor of the Giants series with Angels (2002) and Rangers (2010).(picked by visick)

Indicate your teams, pick them, and let's see how fun this one will play out. Again, password is: wsjoin

3 pairings left to pick-teams can enter league now

Sorry Genegrid...selection #12 had already been picked by Visick...you may try again if you wish for one of the 3 unselected squads...see messages above about naming supplemental players

Team 3 may benefit by getting exclusive rights to any player named among the non-active squads (probably a hitter)
Team 10 may benefit by getting exclusive rights to any named pitcher among the non-active squads (probably a pitcher)

I WILL TAKE CIN/CWS.---If you're scared get a dog mom used to tell me!

genegrid

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 5:38 pm

Love the challenge but I could not make since of all the posts. I believe I can pick any 3 players from the franchises listed as unused?...via auto draft- 1 hitterr and 2 pitchers?

I dont need pitchers, I need hitters

genegrid

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 6:34 pm

I'm in lets play

hackra

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 11:35 pm

This league is being themed by pairing up franchises that had memorably faced each other in one or more World Series. Hence the idea that in their World Series battles, "If you can't beat em, join em" whereby we do bring them together here; thus the league name.

Because some of these franchises may have a shortcoming (e.g., hard to find closer or relief), it is permitted that each owner may go outside of his franchise set for AT MOST 1 HITTER and AT MOST 2 PITCHERS. In doing so, he may not infringe on the franchise player set of another owner; rather he may utilize the 1 hitter and 2 pitchers from among these sets: NeL, Senators, Expos, Mets, Astros, Padres, Brewers, Twins, Mariners, Rockies, Diamondbacks.

So below are the franchises to be chosen, and the World Series upon which they're essentially based. Please reply with the one you will pick to let others know. (I pick the 1st one based on the very first World Series ...) When ready, you may pick your teams. PASSWORD = wsjoin

OK, I'll try as well. I'll take Cubs-Tigers. But I still think you'd attract more managers by randomizing the picks. Without that, I suspect the league won't fill.

1. BOS-db, BOS-pre, PIT-db, PIT-pre - In honor of the very 1st World Series in 1903 pitting Boston against Pittsburgh. (PICKED by GARRETT)
2. CHC (all), DET (all) - In honor of the Cubs - Tigers World Series matchups of 1907, 1908, 1935, 1945. (Picked by bontomn)
3. CHW (all), CIN-db, CIN-pre - In (dis)honor of the Black Sox Scandal series of 1919.(picked by GENEGRID)
4. NYG-db, NYG-pre, PHA-db, PHA-pre - In honor of the old Giants - A's series of 1905, 1911, 1913.(picked by ycbill)
5. NYY-db, NYY-pre, STL-db, STL-pre - In honor of the Yanks - Cards series of 1926, 1928, 1942, 1943. (picked by hackra)
6. CLE (all), BSB-db, BSB-pre, ATl-exp - In honor of the Indians - Braves series of 1948, 1995.(selected by harryc)
7. NYY-post, NYY-exp, BKN-post, LA-exp - In honor of the Yanks - Dodgers series of the 1950s, 1977, 1978, 1981. (Picked by FrankM)
8. BOS-post, BOS-exp, STL-post, STL-exp - In honor of the Red Sox - Cards series of 1967, 2004, 2013. (PICKED BY MUSIAL6)
9. CIN-post, CIN-exp, PHA-post, OAK-exp - In honor of the Reds - A's series of 1972, 1990. (Picked by DrFreeze)
10. BAL-post, BAL-exp, PIT-post, PIT-exp - In honor of the Orioles - Pirates series of 1971, 1979.
11. PHI (all), KC-exp, TOR-exp - In honor of the Phillies series with Royals (1980) and Blue Jays (1993).
12. NYG-post, SF-exp, CAL-exp, TEX-exp - In honor of the Giants series with Angels (2002) and Rangers (2010).(picked by visick)

Indicate your teams, pick them, and let's see how fun this one will play out. Again, password is: wsjoin

2 pairings left to pick -other teams can enter league now

bontomn

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 8:20 pm

bump

FRANKMANSUETO

PostSun Aug 31, 2014 11:42 am

Bump. Who is game?

JoeyC

PostSun Aug 31, 2014 4:25 pm

I would take #11 if I can get an extra hitter and pitcher and select them before the draft - in addition to the hitter/two pitchers during the draft. That's my offer - I'll understand if the group passes.

JoeyC

drfreeze49

PostSun Aug 31, 2014 5:22 pm

I think that was bontomn suggestion that was agreed upon so you should be good ...pick your player and go

JoeyC

PostSun Aug 31, 2014 7:38 pm

I believe the prior offer was for 1 extra player. I would want 2 extra players - 1 hitter and 1 pitcher in order to equalize that team with others. That may seem too much for the group, so I'll wait and see if it's okay.

JoeyC

bontomn

PostSun Aug 31, 2014 7:53 pm

The original premise was that each manager could pick 3 extra players from the undrafted teams. It was never stated that those players were to be picked before--or during--the auto-draft. I assumed the latter, but to get the league rolling agree to give the last three to sign up one pre-auto-draft player (pitcher or hitter) that would be his exclusively.

If you'll accept this, join us and pick a player. You'll still have the opportunity to add two others during the auto-draft,
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats