Calling all Small Ball team Experts!!!!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Radagast Brown

Re: Calling all Small Ball team Experts!!!!

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 9:59 pm

Do you veteran small ballers use the "conservative" setting for team stealing even when you have a bunch of As and AAs?

What inning do you want to bring the infield in?

Do you check "Do Not Bunt" for your great hitters even if they are A- bunters?

I have used "aggressive" base running with "normal" stealing and "conservative" bunting and hitting and run on my small ball teams. But with so many great hitters in a 100 million dollar league I think maybe I should set stealing to "conservative" and base running to "normal"... Any thoughts?

Even though Rod Carew is an "A" bunter I really do not want him bunting with that .388 batting average. What do you guys think?

stratfanSkip

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 10:05 pm

Radagast Brown wrote:Do you veteran small ballers use the "conservative" setting for team stealing even when you have a bunch of As and AAs?

What inning do you want to bring the infield in?

Do you check "Do Not Bunt" for your great hitters even if they are A- bunters?

I have used "aggressive" base running with "normal" stealing and "conservative" bunting and hitting and run on my small ball teams. But with so many great hitters in a 100 million dollar league I think maybe I should set stealing to "conservative" and base running to "normal"... Any thoughts?

Even though Rod Carew is an "A" bunter I really do not want him bunting with that .388 batting average. What do you guys think?

These are all GREAT questions that I personally am looking forward to some answers for!!!!
To many teams, not enough time! Must be an addiction!!

stratfanSkip

PostSat Aug 02, 2014 11:07 am

djmacb wrote:
CTStough wrote:NEV currently has a forbes '57 team that makes NOOO sense to me, but is leading my division, which is baffling, because I look at his team and I say to myself, "This team sucks balls, what is it doing in first place?"

LMAO!!! That pretty much describes EVERY Nevdully's team I've ever been in a league with!

OK, my philosophy on small ball is:
- I like top to bottom hitting. No holes in the lineup. This is important when it takes 2-3 hits to score a run
- Everyone must run. I like my lineup to average 1-16 running (BTW, I think stealing is overrated)
- I don't see any need for power hitters. You can score a lot of runs with top to bottom OBP, BA, and speed and be competitive in any park.
- I like positive clutch guys, but this is probably also overrated. Now that clutch hits are tracked, there's usually only a handful each season
- I try to have a reasonably balanced team and spend ~35% on pitching. However, I don't spend much on the bullpen. Even at $100M, I only tend to spend about $8M on the pen.
- Value is important, so I look for pitchers with more than their share of ball park homers, but zero ball park singles. That's one thing I don't like about stratfanskip's team. His pitching staff is not well suited to a pitchers park.
- I try to have '1's up the middle. This automatically makes your staff better.

Djmacb......always willing to learn, so if my pitchers are "not well suited to a pitchers park", give me a few examples of which pitchers would be in a $60 cap league?

bkeat23

PostSat Aug 02, 2014 3:32 pm

Skip, check my SPs in the Wipeout league, I put Higbe, Moret, Henrix, Conley and Moore at near the top of the list, and lost only Higbe.

As to the settings asked elsewhere, Stealing is normal, with big stealers set to steal more, B guys no setting, and others set to don't steal. H&R is normal with don't set for great OBP guys, and more set for B rated guys without good OBP.

stratfanSkip

PostSat Aug 02, 2014 3:53 pm

bkeat23 wrote:Skip, check my SPs in the Wipeout league, I put Higbe, Moret, Henrix, Conley and Moore at near the top of the list, and lost only Higbe.

As to the settings asked elsewhere, Stealing is normal, with big stealers set to steal more, B guys no setting, and others set to don't steal. H&R is normal with don't set for great OBP guys, and more set for B rated guys without good OBP.

I actually looked at your team while preparing Wipeout 15's roster.....i have 2 of those pitchers you listed on my list as I have them in other leagues as well!! Thanks for sharing!!!

djmacb

PostSat Aug 02, 2014 4:48 pm

Here is my $60M Barnstormers team:

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1128676

I was pretty happy with my staff. I had (cheap) Drysdale, Antonelli, and Renko, who I think are great for a pitchers park; Monte Weaver to pitch on the road in bomber parks; and Farmer and Scherman to match up against righty and lefty lineups.

Other good pitchers for pitchers parks are Sadecki, (cheap) Catfish Hunter, (cheap) Tiant, and Oil Can Boyd.

Michael Grammes

PostSat Aug 02, 2014 9:58 pm

stratfan skip, check your private messages... I sent ya a link to a team ya might like.

MG

CTStough

PostSun Aug 03, 2014 4:16 am

@ Radagast- naw it's Auto League 424106. He's in first w/ 53-28, I'm in second with 50-31, next best has 46w's.

So far, we're tearing it up, but I lose ground when my injuries kick in. Would be pretty sweet to have two 100 win teams in the same division.

CTStough

PostSun Aug 03, 2014 4:24 am

I don't really get base stealers anymore. When I do, I use the individual settings.

If I could set it up so that they would never steal 3rd, I would use rabbits much more, all I want is for them to be in scoring position. If their speed is decent, a single will bring 'em home.

I REALLY wish I had good fire control over my pitchers bunting. They should bunt every time, unless two outs. I have NO idea, how to make that happen.

stratfanSkip

PostSun Aug 03, 2014 10:45 am

Michael Grammes wrote:stratfan skip, check your private messages... I sent ya a link to a team ya might like.

MG

Got it Michael, and replied!!
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats