Favorite baseball book or movie

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

gfg001

Re: Favorite baseball book or movie

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 4:30 pm

Another oldie, but extra fun because of the ball players in it.
"Alibi Ike" 1935 starring comic Joe E. Brown as Ike who is kidnapped by gangsters who want to make him throw the WORLD SERIES. Ring Lardner the sports writer wrote the original story. Olivia de Havilland had her first leading role in this film.
There a lot of real ball players in the movie ranging from obscure to legendary. Lou Kopal , Guy Cantrell , Dick Cox , Cedric Durst , Mike Gazella , Don Hurst, Wally Hood, Smead Jolley, Wally Rehg , Bob Meusel and Jim Thorpe.

DOUGELKE

PostSat Aug 23, 2014 3:10 pm

Yesterday,a friend brought over 2 big baseball pictorial books.The first one is 150 years of baseball.It goes each chapter by decade. So far some of these pictures are amazing.The second book is the pictorial history of baseball.What's neat about this book is some of the pictures are from some of the great players while they were in the minors.Each book is about 2 feet by 1 foot and are very heavy.I have to take some time and go through these books.

lanier64

PostSat Aug 23, 2014 3:59 pm

DOUGELKE wrote:
The second book is the pictorial history of baseball. What's neat about this book is some of the pictures are from some of the great players while they were in the minors.

I used to work part-time in bookstore (when bookstores existed :( ) and I've seen this book. You're right Doug, it's pretty neat.

agabriel

PostSun Aug 24, 2014 12:59 pm

You guys should totally check out these biographies by our very own hack wilson--Fouled Away, about Hack Wilson; Big and Little Poison, about the Waner Brothers; and Bucketfoot Al, about Al Simmons.

lanier64

PostSun Aug 24, 2014 3:35 pm

agabriel wrote:
You guys should totally check out these biographies by our very own hack wilson--Fouled Away, about Hack Wilson; Big and Little Poison, about the Waner Brothers; and Bucketfoot Al, about Al Simmons.

All available on Amazon.

Sheikyerboudi

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 4:56 pm

I watched a documentary movie on Netflix yesterday called Knuckleball! It was primarily about Wakefield and Dickey, but had cameos by Phil Niekro, Wilbur Wood, Charlie Hough & Jim Bouton. Very entertaining.

-The Sheik
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats