Most exciting new cards

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

rburgh

Re: Most exciting new cards

PostTue Jul 29, 2014 10:46 pm

Not sure he's all that exciting, but Terry Harmon has one of the strangest card I have ever seen. He had 2 HR in 66 AB as a utility IF for the 73 Phils. He hit one HR off a lefty and the other off a righty. So he's an N both ways, as you would expect.

But his card vs. lefties has 4.4 HR chances and NO ballpark HR's, while his card against RHP has 7 ballpark HR's but only a 1-11 HR chance at 1-12. Bizarre!

Valen

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 9:47 am

Been going through the updated pitcher cards. The new Pennock card may be more usable in lower cap small ball parks now that he has some gb(A) on card to help cancel out some of the singles.

Valen

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 9:54 am

The new Ken Forsch 77 card looks interesting. High gb(A) count, no #s, extreme reverse righty.
Starter and relief rated. Good middle inning candidate or situational starter?

Musial6

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 10:08 am

The 1966 Larry Jaster card is great against any team who has Dodgers on it (he shut them out 5 times in his rookie 1966 season). OH WAIT - there is no Larry Jaster card in ATG, not even in the Superstar Sixties set! :?: :evil:

Valen

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 10:21 am

For lower caps and parks that effectively erase the #s the new 61 Ralph Terry might have some potential.

LMBombers

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 12:07 pm

Musial6 wrote:The 1966 Larry Jaster card is great against any team who has Dodgers on it (he shut them out 5 times in his rookie 1966 season). OH WAIT - there is no Larry Jaster card in ATG, not even in the Superstar Sixties set! :?: :evil:

Jaster doesn't have a 60s mystery card because he only had 3 or maybe 4 years with a decent amount of IP. You have to have 5 such years to be a mystery card player.

Outta Leftfield

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 1:34 pm

rburgh wrote:Not sure he's all that exciting, but Terry Harmon has one of the strangest card I have ever seen.

Also kinda fun are his 3e88 at SS and 3e65 at 3B. I guess this may be fair though, because baseball-ref has his FA at those positions as .889 and .778.

One thing that's beyond doubt, though, is that this is a card we really needed, far more than any card at all for Brady Anderson, John Olerud, Bernard Gilkey, Shane Mack, Carlos Delgado, Matt Stairs, or Luis Gonzalez—just to name a few. ;)

mighty moose

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 4:46 pm

May be an interesting card, but can't help but think that of all the cards we "asked for" why we wind up with something like this, an almost unusable card. I guess if you're playing 60 Mil and you want an ultra cheap fifty cent pinch hitter or a DH but totally unusable in the field. - :o - Even then would you want a .183 BA on your bench that cant make a play in the infield if asked to?

rburgh

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 11:21 pm

Harmon was in ATG 7 also. Nobody ever used him there that I know of, and I can't see anybody using this oddball card either. But hey, I was excited to see such a crazy card. I guess it's just me.

I have gotten through most of the cards by now, and one thing that really disappoints me is that the cards of most of the often-used bench players have been decimated. Many prices are up, most cards are down. Some cards have prices down and value crushed. I haven't found more than one or two nuggets so far. And one of those is Eddie Kasko, whose .96 MM salary puts him in no-man's land, too expensive for a scrub, not good enough to play every day, and too balanced to platoon. But he's a good value in my pricing model.

I was very disappointed to see Maris, Reggie 73, Stargell, Blanchard, and Frank Robinson 61 get crushed so badly. Robinson, for example lost a full HR chance, 1.4 double chances, and almost a full single against RHP (and I might be understating it).

I tried to make the point with them that the entire set needs to be radically re-priced, but nobody listened. I even gave examples of some of the sillier prices, with comparisons to (sometimes much) cheaper cards that were better.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats