Rule 7.13

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

hotcorner4444

Rule 7.13

PostSun Apr 13, 2014 12:10 pm

For those of you who haven't gotten such things from me, I am occasional blogger...and this is one of those occasions.

http://herm4444.blogspot.com/2014/04/th ... e-713.html

Scottbdoug

Re: Rule 7.13

PostMon Apr 14, 2014 9:17 am

Its a good rule and if the players follow it, injuries will go down significantly on those occasions.

hotcorner4444

PostMon Apr 14, 2014 10:52 pm

lanier64

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 4:15 pm

Fosse didn't have the ball. He was about a nano second away from having it, but he didn't have it. Go to the tape and look. I can't stand Pete Rose. Never have liked him and that goes way back to when he was a second baseman. And being an A's fan I like Ray Fosse because he had three good seasons (well one and a half anyway)on the field out here and later in the broadcast booth as well as being a class act. But Fosse never possessed the ball. What was Rose to do? He did the right thing. Fosse shouldn't have been blocking the plate without the ball. Man up. If you can't play with the big boys go home.

george barnard

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 5:47 pm

lanier64 wrote: Man up. If you can't play with the big boys go home.

The "man up" argument gets a little old at times, justifying violence where it doesn't necessarily belong. How many times have I heard little league coaches tell their players to "be a man" when confronted with violence: take it like a man, give it as good as you take it (and we won't even talk about the ultimate sadist -- the high school football coach). How much more human it is (and ultimately humiliating to the opponent) to shake off the gratuitous violence and go about your business. Shall we sharpen up our spikes à la Cobb and take out any number of second basemen because "that's the way the game is played"? Play hard, I agree, push yourself to the limits you didn't even know that you had, but inflicting pain.....is that really what the game is all about?

Bill

lanier64

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 8:21 pm

george barnard wrote:

The "man up" argument gets a little old at times, justifying violence where it doesn't necessarily belong. How many times have I heard little league coaches tell their players to "be a man" when confronted with violence: take it like a man, give it as good as you take it (and we won't even talk about the ultimate sadist -- the high school football coach). How much more human it is (and ultimately humiliating to the opponent) to shake off the gratuitous violence and go about your business. Shall we sharpen up our spikes à la Cobb and take out any number of second basemen because "that's the way the game is played"? Play hard, I agree, push yourself to the limits you didn't even know that you had, but inflicting pain.....is that really what the game is all about?

You read something into the post that wasn't there. Fosse was blocking the plate without the ball! What wasRose to do? He slides...bang Fosse has the ball and Rose is out because he can't get past Fosse was blocking the plate without the ball which he immediately gets and Rose is out. The whole problem is Fosse is blocking the plate without the ball!!

nevdully's

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 8:42 pm

lanier64 wrote:george barnard wrote:

You read something into the post that wasn't there. Fosse was blocking the plate without the ball! What wasRose to do? He slides...bang Fosse has the ball and Rose is out because he can't get past Fosse was blocking the plate without the ball which he immediately gets and Rose is out. The whole problem is Fosse is blocking the plate without the ball!!

Agree 100% with GeorgeB here REGARDLESS of whether or not Fosse had the ball..."Man up" and "if you can't play with the bog boys go home" etc has some pretty strong unintended consequences. And while they may help you win the battle and even the war, if this Man crap wasn't drummed into us all our lives we wouldn't find ourselves in war our entire freaking existence.

nevdully's

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 8:49 pm

I mighta went a lil too far there :mrgreen:

STEVE F

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 9:12 pm

lanier64 wrote:Fosse didn't have the ball. He was about a nano second away from having it, but he didn't have it. Go to the tape and look. I can't stand Pete Rose. Never have liked him and that goes way back to when he was a second baseman. And being an A's fan I like Ray Fosse because he had three good seasons (well one and a half anyway)on the field out here and later in the broadcast booth as well as being a class act. But Fosse never possessed the ball. What was Rose to do? He did the right thing. Fosse shouldn't have been blocking the plate without the ball. Man up. If you can't play with the big boys go home.

Totally agree.

george barnard

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 5:47 am

nevdully's wrote:I mighta went a lil too far there :mrgreen:

Don't think you went far enough. :mrgreen:

Bill
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats