who would be interested in...

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

STEVE F

Re: who would be interested in...

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 12:24 am

I still might jump in. I'd suggest creating the league and let it percolate for awhile :)

Scottbdoug

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 8:40 am

I would be happy to include as one of the participants Steve F.

STEVE F

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 9:24 am

I would suspect the toughest part will be getting 24 guys to set aside the same 5 hour block of time :)

scumby

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 11:11 am

Scottbdoug wrote:\And there are enough teams that the range of players that will be picked so that teams that choose pitching or base stealing or defence or a combination of all these factors have enough weight that power becomes less important.

Scott.

As many others can attest, you don't need a 24 team league to win with pitching, speed and defense. I post this link as an example.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1112149

Scottbdoug

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 8:11 pm

The example you use scumby would prove my point as 12 teams at 100 mil is the same as 24 with 200mil. But 12 teams at 200mil stealing bases and pitching are of small imprtance to power as most would attest.

Scott.

Rjnewman

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 9:27 pm

You can draft on this board and give people as long as they need. Takes a lot longer, but draft is the most fun and takes the most skill. Then you dont have to spend all the time at once to draft. You just have to be notified or aware that it is your pick.

nevdully's

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 11:24 pm

STEVE F wrote:
Scottbdoug wrote:
In my mind its the best way to determine who is the best strat manager on this site. You have the choice on who you pick not a computer. You have enough money to groom your team exactly as you wish. And there are enough teams that the range of players that will be picked so that teams that choose pitching or base stealing or defence or a combination of all these factors have enough weight that power becomes less important. Lets see who really is the best at this game when there will be over 600 players chosen and there are enough teams that winning is much more difficult.

Scott.

The problem with this is it implies that there is some statistical reliability in a single season of play. This is simply not true. You could create the same league, play two seasons, and win 72 games one time and 90 the next. This is the nature of standard deviation in this game.
It also takes the postion that you, a new online player like myself, have figured out a true measure of skill that these guys that have been doing this for 10 years somehow overlooked, and while I'm pretty sure you didn't mean it that way, comes across as slightly arrogant.
We had a guy in 20xx last year, started playing online about the same time I did. within 2 months he was posting "expert opinion" about players based on half a season of sample size. Anyone with basic math skills has to see the absurdity in that.
Now, I've only been online about one year, but I've played strat for almost 50 years. I think we, as a whole, tend to underestimate the amount of luck involved in this game.

In summary, I think your league would be a blast, and wish you good luck with it

That sums up exactly why I don't buy into any of these type of measuring sticks.

Scottbdoug

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 11:40 pm

Rjnewman has a great idea, who would be willing to do a draft over this board so we don't have to do it live? It would take longer but would save all of us being at the computer at the same time.

STEVE F

PostFri Apr 11, 2014 10:49 am

Scottbdoug wrote:Rjnewman has a great idea, who would be willing to do a draft over this board so we don't have to do it live? It would take longer but would save all of us being at the computer at the same time.

I would be in for that!

ROBERTLATORRE

PostFri Apr 11, 2014 1:48 pm

Scott, a few of us have another approach to supplement what we play here or offline. Have you ever participated in a play by email league?

There are a lot of them being run by different people, here's a link to my active one, a keeper league that runs from 1950 to 1959. We are in 1958 now and looking at starting a new 1960's version.

We "live" draft on another Strat Draft site over a few days, it's a good change up from the SOM Online game (which most of us are pretty heavily invested in LOL)

Have a look

http://latorrer0.tripod.com/sombb/1950kp/overall.html

As for your 24 team live draft, I'd be in!
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats