who would be interested in...

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Scottbdoug

who would be interested in...

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 8:36 pm

a 24 team 200mil league w/ dh live draft if I offered the winner a gift of a free credit which is above what you normally get from som.

If you dont have an interest tell me why please.

In my mind its the best way to determine who is the best strat manager on this site. You have the choice on who you pick not a computer. You have enough money to groom your team exactly as you wish. And there are enough teams that the range of players that will be picked so that teams that choose pitching or base stealing or defence or a combination of all these factors have enough weight that power becomes less important. Lets see who really is the best at this game when there will be over 600 players chosen and there are enough teams that winning is much more difficult.

As i said if you have no interest can you tell me why as its a mystery to me on why 24 team leagues in the ATG 7 is so difficult.

Scott.

nevdully's

Re: who would be interested in...

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 8:39 pm

How about we all agree you're the best and leave it at that.

Scottbdoug

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 8:46 pm

No im new to this game so i havent even had a winning record yet let alone win anything. Im just interested in trying a 24 team league.

Scott.

STEVE F

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 9:02 pm

I have no desire to sit through a 24 team live draft. That's my reason. That, and your conclusion is probably insulting to guys who have been playing ATG for years. Not me, I've only done two ATG teams. I'm more of a 20XX guy. Just sayin.

Scottbdoug

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 10:49 pm

Hmmm i seem to be getting on ppl's nerves although im trying not too. No insults intended.

I just thought i was saying something that is a given. But perhaps im missing something?

Here is my reasoning...

Everyone here loves to play strat.

Probably everyone started it playing the board game or the windows game. The issue with the board game is to try and find others to play. Busy lives get in th way. So why not try the windows game. But it also involves large amounts of time in front of the computer to play the games. So in comes the online game. It has similar fun to the board game and windows game without the need for organizing and playing the games as the computer does it for you. Especially playing the actual game for you.

From my short time here there is a learning curve to playing the online game when the draft is automatic. But that has to do with learning the computer rules for drafting, not learning how to draft better. The more auto drafts you participate in the better understanding you have on how to rank your players to get the best players at a better rate than your opponents. This skill is something that is in the end forced on you to become skilled at if you wish to win consistently in online strat.

But no one can say with a straight face that this skill has anything to do with strat drafting skill. It is plainly a computer program learning skill. No one if they had the choice between drafting their own team and having others do it for them whether it is a computer or not would choose the latter. Its done because it takes no time commitment. You never see anyone in a draft whether real or strat wise do a blind 25 rank player draft and then see how it turns out. In the end the auto draft is a necessary 2nd choice for those who dont want to bother with a live draft.

A live draft and an auto draft needs skills and learning to do well. But the auto draft is less of an indicator of being a good strat manager than a live draft does.

Dont get me wrong we are playing online strat and auto drafting is a skill you need to do well if you participate in auto leagues and i dont hesitate in saying that anyone who has played this version is much more skilled at it than me. But its hard to argue against the statment that the more control you have over all aspects of your team the more it indicates the level of your strat skills. It is why we all read the continuing complaints fromeveryone on having more choice in decisions hal makes and continual improvements the owners of strat make to the online game as the addition of a live draft option indicates.

I do apologize if any of my posts have offended anyone. Im just arguing my thought in a forum with mutual lovers of the game and any opinions different than mine are always welcome.

If you read tbis all the way through i appreciate you spending the time to do so and let me know what you think of what i said.

Scott.

Mr Baseball World

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 11:05 pm

I would be interested.

STEVE F

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 11:20 pm

I appreciate what you're trying to say. I even think a 24 team live draft league would be great fun. I won't be in it because:
A. I participated in two live drafts, and they take around 2 -2 1/2 hours for a 12 team league. I'm not willing to sit for double that amount of time drafting
B. like I said, I am a 20xx player. After one ATG league, I took the time to rank about 350 players before joining another. I'm not willing to spend a week ranking another 350 players to cover a 24 team league.

But the main thing I took issue with (and can also see why it might ruffle some of the long time vets here) is this wording

Scottbdoug wrote:
In my mind its the best way to determine who is the best strat manager on this site. You have the choice on who you pick not a computer. You have enough money to groom your team exactly as you wish. And there are enough teams that the range of players that will be picked so that teams that choose pitching or base stealing or defence or a combination of all these factors have enough weight that power becomes less important. Lets see who really is the best at this game when there will be over 600 players chosen and there are enough teams that winning is much more difficult.

Scott.

The problem with this is it implies that there is some statistical reliability in a single season of play. This is simply not true. You could create the same league, play two seasons, and win 72 games one time and 90 the next. This is the nature of standard deviation in this game.
It also takes the postion that you, a new online player like myself, have figured out a true measure of skill that these guys that have been doing this for 10 years somehow overlooked, and while I'm pretty sure you didn't mean it that way, comes across as slightly arrogant.
We had a guy in 20xx last year, started playing online about the same time I did. within 2 months he was posting "expert opinion" about players based on half a season of sample size. Anyone with basic math skills has to see the absurdity in that.
Now, I've only been online about one year, but I've played strat for almost 50 years. I think we, as a whole, tend to underestimate the amount of luck involved in this game.

In summary, I think your league would be a blast, and wish you good luck with it

Scottbdoug

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 11:38 pm

Yeah now that i read it in quotes it does seem abit arrogant.

Im just interested in testing my drafting and playing skills against the best online here and i thought a minor shot to their ego would motivate them in this endeavor as posting it in the leagues forming doesnt seem to hold any interest.

Do i believe i would beat them. Statistically i dont have that great of a chancr and but im willing to give it a shot.

I have had two teams in auto draft so far and one 12 team live draft. I thought a 24 team live draft would be intersting way to spend a few hours as it is really the only true control over your team u have since mostly everything else is done by hal.
You should jin me it would be a blast.

Scott.

Scottbdoug

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 11:41 pm

Mr. Baseball world and me so far... Any others want to test their skills

STEVE F

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 11:42 pm

I'd really like to join, but I just cant sit that long, nor do I really feel like doing the work to rank the next 350 players.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats