6 or 24

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Scottbdoug

6 or 24

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 7:40 pm

shouldnt we be trying to get a larger 24 team league started than a 6 team league? seems a 6 team league is just a super league with no skill involved since all the teams will have 9mil or higher players everywhere. The 12 team league is almost like that already. With a 24 team league you will need to groom your team a bit better to win. Or am i crazy?

Scott.

ScumbyJr

Re: 6 or 24

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 8:13 pm

No, it's a valid point. However, I'm not sure whether there is interest in ATG 24 team leagues. Here is a 24 team 2013 $60M no DH league I'm in. A lot of fun since most everyone is in contention.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/league/348799

Scottbdoug

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 8:50 pm

I know its difficult to get 24 players to join a league, especially when it involves a live draft, but i have a curiosity of what a league would look like and fuction stats-wise if a true sized league was used with no limit other than ur skill at drafting and managing.

6 or 12 team leagues with no limits on salaries results in teams where power out performs every other factor. With 24 team league the use of 5mil players will result in pitching on base avg. Stolen bases will become a more realistic factor in team results. At least thats what im thinking.

It would be fun to find out.

Scott.

stratfanSkip

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 8:45 pm

Not sure about how a 200m cap 24 team league would go over, but here is a 24-team league with a 60m cap:

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/league/347871
To many teams, not enough time! Must be an addiction!!

stratfanSkip

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 8:49 pm

stratfanSkip wrote:Not sure about how a 200m cap 24 team league would go over, but here is a 24-team league with a 60m cap:

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/league/347871

And in my humble opinion, it is MUCH harder to put together a winner in a 24 team league with a 60m cap than it would be with a 200m cap!!! ;)
To many teams, not enough time! Must be an addiction!!

Scottbdoug

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 9:31 pm

This seems to be the prevailing opinion that the lower the cap the more difficult it is...

Not sure why this is. Is it because you need to factor in salary when choosing players? If that is so doesnt that just limit your choices rather than increase them? Meaning with limited choices its like having a race between 24 20k cars instead of an unlimited amount encompassing all aspects of racing. There will be a winner but does it really matter?

I understand that in a 12 team league there are so many great cards that everyone will get a super team but at 24 teams your roster will include 5mil players as well as 10mil players and all the best players will be used rather than only a few great ones because of salary cap restrictions.

Having a 24 team league at 200mil would be the same as a 12 team league at 100mil but instead of salary limiting your choices it will be ur opponents choosing their draft picks that will limit your choices. Which is a better indicator of a good manager as drafting is the skill that is important as a first indicator of a good som player otherwise we would just put the players in their teams and pick them instead.

Scott.

Davesodu

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 12:21 pm

Scottbdoug wrote:doesnt that just limit your choices rather than increase them?

Of course it limits your options but it makes you think more about the ramifications of certain players. I don't want to put down $200M leagues as I don't like them but many others here do - it is a personal preference thing. But in a $200M league if you go first it is "Do I pick Ruth or Maddux?" (or whatever choice you want). In a $60M league if you go first you can pick Ruth or Maddux but you also have to weigh what that salary will do to the rest of your team. Is having Ruth and nothing but $1M players better than having Canseco and a bunch of $3M players?

I think you have made up your mind that a 24 team live draft $200M salary is the ultimate test but there are a lot of other options available that test managers in other ways. Some like low caps, some like high caps, some like 20xx, some like ATG. If I was Seuss I could make that rhyme. I need to work on that sometime.

mykeedee

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 1:50 pm

First of all, to say that one season is the test for "the best strat mgr." Is ludicrous. So much luck is involved in this game, and one season is such a small sample size... and most of us play this game recreationally for fun, not to say I'm "the best". Also I agree with davesodu there are many tests for managers in every atg option, and everyone has their own preferences. Personally I don't like the higher caps because I don't like the idea of 8 mil guys platooning or sitting, plus I don't ever do live drafts because of the time involved, I already spend too much time on this addiction!!! ;)

Mike

STEVE F

PostFri Apr 11, 2014 3:51 pm

I have to say, I don't get the appeal of a 6 team unlimited cap league. You might as well let me pitch!

Scottbdoug

PostMon Apr 14, 2014 9:23 am

Im of your opinion as well Steve F, but having a six team league might appeal to others so im not really against it per se. It would be nice to get people interested in 24 team leagues with a live draft, but so far as you know just trying to get 24 people involved in a league at all is difficult.

Scott.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats