40 new cards added to ATG VI

40 new cards added to ATG VI

Postby bernieh » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:00 pm

[size=16:d1f13f1280][b:d1f13f1280]HEY YOU[/b:d1f13f1280][/size:d1f13f1280]

Today [b:d1f13f1280]we added 40 brand new, popularly requested cards[/b:d1f13f1280] (20 hitters, 20 pitchers) to the All-Time Greats VI player set!

PLUS, we'll be adding another batch of around 20 new cards [i:d1f13f1280]once every month going forward[/i:d1f13f1280].

They're listed [url=http://somonline.wikia.com/wiki/All-Time_Greats_VI:_Cards]here[/url].

The [url=http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/images/stratomatic/salaries/salaries_public_atg6.xls]handy Excel spreadsheet[/url] of all the players in ATG VI with their stats and their salaries has been updated to include the new cards. There's a note in the rightmost column marking each of the new cards so you can easily find them.

For what it's worth, I'd been revealing some of these cards as teasers in [url=http://forums.sportingnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=626644]this other thread[/url] over the past week, so you can follow along with all the lively discussion we've been having there.

[size=16:d1f13f1280][b:d1f13f1280]Will my league get them?[/b:d1f13f1280][/size:d1f13f1280]

Effective immediately these cards are available for you to put on your draft lists if you are joining or creating a league that hasn't filled yet. If you've already finished your draft list and joined a league, you may pull out and adjust your list to include any of the new cards if you want, as long as the league hasn't closed yet.

The new cards will not be made available to leagues that have already drafted or whose seasons have started. I had intended to add them to such leagues manually on a case-by-case basis, but consensus opinions from the managers in these leagues would be too hard to collect, and I've run into some unexpected obstacles in this whole process.

[size=16:d1f13f1280][b:d1f13f1280]Whoa! Babe Ruth has a pitching card now![/b:d1f13f1280][/size:d1f13f1280]

Yup, and there are 6 other players who now each have 1 or more hitter cards AND 1 or more pitcher cards in ATG VI - so that's Ruth, 5 Negro Leaguers and (Smoky) Joe Wood. These players are to be handled like any other of the majority of players who have multiple cards in the set - you may own only 1 of the cards, and may switch to any of his other cards as if it were a regular transaction (i.e. paying the free agent drop penalty). I had previously said that I was going to take measures to prevent a manager from trying to exploit this, but I was convinced by the community to leave it as is for various reasons, the strongest being that if you have Ruth as a hitter, you'd need to take him out of your lineup for a full 3-game series if you want to switch to his pitching card and have him pitch during that series... which you're probably not going to want to do.

[size=16:d1f13f1280][b:d1f13f1280]What about Live Drafts?[/b:d1f13f1280][/size:d1f13f1280]

Effective immediately, all Live Drafts will include the new cards.

Enjoy!
bernieh

Postby seyclops » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:53 pm

Cool!

Just noticed that there may be a mistake on Sam Thompson, though -- he's listed as weak against lefties but has park factor homers on that side. Isn't that impossible?
seyclops

Next Month

Postby Metjet24 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Do you think we will see R. Cano or J.Reyes added?
Metjet24

Thanks, Bernie, more suggestions

Postby dspeters5 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:12 am

Bernie, here are two suggestions that I have been very concerned about.
Pop Lloyd Smokey Joe Williams! There is much anecdotal evidence and evaulations by the greatest HOFers, saying they were the best they ever saw. Babe Ruth and Honus Wagner said that Pop Lloyd was the BEST baseball player they ever saw. Ty Cobb would never say that Pop Lloyd was the best baseball player ever, but he realized Pop outplayed him in a 22 game exhibition series in Cuba, that Ty quit the competition.

Same was said about Smokey Joe Williams. I know the historical data is very light.. I have had several conversations with Scott Simkus about this.

In my opinion, Pop Lloyd needs an $11 mil and Cyclone Williams $10 at the very least. Cyclone and Satchel Paige were considered by historians of Negro League ball as the very best African American pitchers ever.
dspeters5

Re: Thanks, Bernie, more suggestions

Postby PotKettleBlack » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:13 am

[quote:c9dbbfd83d="dspeters5"]Bernie, here are two suggestions that I have been very concerned about.
Pop Lloyd Smokey Joe Williams! There is much anecdotal evidence and evaulations by the greatest HOFers, saying they were the best they ever saw. Babe Ruth and Honus Wagner said that Pop Lloyd was the BEST baseball player they ever saw. Ty Cobb would never say that Pop Lloyd was the best baseball player ever, but he realized Pop outplayed him in a 22 game exhibition series in Cuba, that Ty quit the competition.

Same was said about Smokey Joe Williams. I know the historical data is very light.. I have had several conversations with Scott Simkus about this.

In my opinion, Pop Lloyd needs an $11 mil and Cyclone Williams $10 at the very least. Cyclone and Satchel Paige were considered by historians of Negro League ball as the very best African American pitchers ever.[/quote:c9dbbfd83d]

Best someone ever saw is fairly light. Without better data, I cannot disagree with this post more.
PotKettleBlack

Postby The Last Druid » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:28 am

Ruth also said Gibson was the best player he ever saw.

This whole point is moot. The cards are made by Strat, not Bernie. Nothing Bernie can do about this; not that he should anyway.
The Last Druid

Postby Valen » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:28 am

To start arbitrarily giving someone great cards because someone (Cobb, whomever) once gave them a compliment would make a joke of this whole thing. If I remember right on the NeL cards Strato says the cards are based on stats gathered and cards received are based on their 5 best seasons. There us insufficient data to make a realistic card based on one season even if you could identify which season was their best.
Valen

Postby Mean Dean » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:47 am

A [url=http://www.seamheads.com/NegroLgs/index.php]new Negro League encyclopedia[/url] is being developed. Perhaps, if that work is completed and uncovers as much new information as the compilers claim it does, and if SOM's first Negro League set was financially successful (I suspect it was...), then SOM will issue some more Negro League cards. But as [b:c2bc6c0ccf]Petrosian[/b:c2bc6c0ccf] says, that would have to happen before TSN could make any changes on their end.
Mean Dean

Postby bjmul » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:42 am

kinsler? braun?
bjmul

For future reference...IMO...

Postby caimrisek » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:03 pm

Just to throw my $.02 into the pot...

I think a requirement for inclusion into the ATG set should be retirement status of said major league player...i.e...no one on an active major league roster should be allowed to have a card in any ATG set...just my opinion. :shock:
caimrisek

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats