FOR BERNIE - LIVE DRAFT - AUCTION FORMAT

FOR BERNIE - LIVE DRAFT - AUCTION FORMAT

Postby TRW » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:38 am

Bernie,

I was reading your Wish/To Do List & have a suggestion about Live Drafts & enforcing salary caps.

The suggestion is an auction format. Everyone would start with the same dollar amount. No salary cap enforcement would be necessary for this format.

As in regular season fantasy baseball, each owner would take a turn & throw out a player name to be bid on. The snake order for player selection would remain the same. However, instead of drafting the player, the selected player would be put into the auction que for bidding. After 90sec of bidding, the owner with the highest bid would win the player.

I think the current draft window would work with some modifications. (the clock & snake order would stay the same. The que could be changed to a bid window & a max bid window would need to be added.

Also in this format, everyone would have an equal shot at every player.

An option for this style of draft could include: open bid draft (everyone sees everyones else's bid & can raise their bid over 90sec) [b:ad63d76e81]or [/b:ad63d76e81]blind bid draft - one bid/highest bid wins -this could be a fast-track live draft game.

This would be in addition to the current snake draft option & not to replace it. I think an auction would be a great alternative to the current options available.
Last edited by TRW on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TRW

Postby nevdully's » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:53 am

AWESOME!!! BEST IDEA I'VE HEARD IN A LONG TIME!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
nevdully's

Postby gkhd11a » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:54 pm

This would be for me the best possible way to play this game.
gkhd11a

Postby bernieh » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:43 pm

I love, love love auction drafts. It's the way I drafted when I played in face-to-face leagues back in the day. So I love the suggestion too.

However, as you can imagine, it'd be a lot of work for me/us to create an application for, especially since the real-time aspect is even more important for auctions than straight drafts. That doesn't make it any less of a good idea, and it'll go on [url=http://somonline.bluwiki.com/go/Development_status]the list[/url]... you never know.

I did just do a quick search for 3rd-party sites that may let you run a generic auction draft, and the best option I found - Fantasy Auctioneer - is apparently [url=http://www.fantasysportsbusiness.com/wordpress/2009/01/30/fantasy-auctioneer-to-take-a-year-off/]currently unavailable, though returning for baseball season 2010[/url]. Let's keep an eye on it in case it would let us tailor it for SOM Online drafts.
bernieh

Postby TRW » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:13 pm

This is not 3rd party software, but it is an example of another companies baseball auction software.

Rotowire:

http://www.rotonews.com/baseball/draftsoftware.htm
TRW

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats