Closer Rule Explanation

Closer Rule Explanation

Postby rutkap » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:49 pm

COuld someone please explain the Closer rule to me please,

If the guy is a C0 does that mean he begins fatigued as a closer? If a guy pitches the 8th, does that count as a closing situation?

should you have more than one person that has at least a C3 on your team? (ive noticed that there is a premium on pitchers that have a higher C number...)
rutkap

Postby LMBombers » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:07 pm

Copied from the rules:

"C6" or the number after the slash next to a relief rating (e.g. "relief(1)/6" means he is effective as a closer, and he can pitch for at least 6 outs before being susceptible to tiredness. It is recommended that a pitcher have a closer rating of 3 or higher (6 is highest) in order to be effective in save situations. An "N" means that in closing situations, he is susceptible to tiredness immediately.

You want a C4 or higher (preferably a C6) as your closer. You only need one closer on your team.
LMBombers

Postby rutkap » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:35 pm

when is it considered a closing situation? also If he is C0 does that make him immediately tired? or does he have to give up 2 hits?
rutkap

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:07 pm

If I recall, a closing situation in STRAT (not MLB) is any situation in the ninth inning where the tying run is at plate or on the bases.

eg. starting the 9th leading 4-3
eg. after two outs, two walks, and the score 5-2.

A C0 doesn't enter the game already tired (for that, you need to have no closer rating at all). But he gets tired right after the first hitter (or the second hitter in case the first hitter has a hit by pitch). In contrast, a c1 remains fresh until the first out is recorded, regardless of what happens before that out.
MARCPELLETIER

Postby bleacher_creature » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:14 pm

There is some misinformation in this thread, and perhaps the rules copied. I don't have the rules in front of me (too lazy to go get them), but I believe the following are true (correct me where I'm wrong):

1. An "N" is tired immediately in a closing situation.
2. The number after C indicates after how many outs the pitcher is SUSCEPETIBLE to tiredness.
3. The closing pitcher is tired after reaching this number of outs AND allowing a WALK or HIT.
4. If this pitcher is already in the game and it becomes a closing situation, you have to subtract the outs he's already recorded from his "C" number (a C3 pitched the entire 8th, and it is a closing situation in the 9th - he's tired AFTER allowing a WALK or HIT).
5. A "closing situation" is whenever the defensive team has the lead and the tying run is at-bat or on-base from the 9th inning on.

As an example, someone like Heilman may pitch the 7th through 9th, but he's tired if he allows a hit or walk in the 9th with #5 being the case.
bleacher_creature

Postby LMBombers » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:18 pm

[quote:2fd80d8ee1="bleacher_creature"]There is some misinformation in this thread, and perhaps the rules copied.[/quote:2fd80d8ee1]

I went to one of my 2006 teams and then to the FAQ/rules tab. From there I clicked on "reading the pitcher's card" and copied the rules right from there. I don't know how that can be wrong.
LMBombers

Postby bleacher_creature » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:53 am

[quote:8a0b9f3b86="LMBombers"][quote:8a0b9f3b86="bleacher_creature"]There is some misinformation in this thread, and perhaps the rules copied.[/quote:8a0b9f3b86]

I went to one of my 2006 teams and then to the FAQ/rules tab. From there I clicked on "reading the pitcher's card" and copied the rules right from there. I don't know how that can be wrong.[/quote:8a0b9f3b86]

LM,

That's what I meant when I said that the copied rules may be wrong. Paging Bernie. In fact, I'm pretty sure they are wrong.

Another example: a C6 is the best guy to have on your team if you want someone to pitch 2 innings at the end of a game. Even if he is an R1, because he won't tire in the 9th, even if he gives up some hits and walks.
bleacher_creature

Postby Mean Dean » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:37 am

[b:7319ce4058]bleacher creature[/b:7319ce4058]'s description of the rules is correct, but I don't see how the rules on the site are wrong. The only incorrect thing I see here was [b:7319ce4058]lucky[/b:7319ce4058] saying "hitter" when he meant "out."
Mean Dean

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:13 pm

Dean,

I really mean "hitter",not out. My understanding is that, when a closing situation occurs:

C:N(no rating): is in a fatigued mode before throwing to the first hitter;
C:0 : enters in a fatigued mode after the first hitter (whether the hitter gets on-base or gets an out---except for HBP);
C:1: enters in a fatigued mode after recording his first out (will not get into a fatigue mode if the hitter gets on-base).

But I agree with you that I see no contradiction between what I wrote and the rules.
MARCPELLETIER

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx