Who are the youngest and oldest online strat players?

Postby KEVINEHLE » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:42 am

BTW, my first game was the 1970 Strato set.

However, my brothers also go the 1970 set of the Sports Illustrated Baseball game. Does ANYONE remember that game? It was pretty cool. Each team was a very colorful laminated folded card.
The front was all the players and their stats. The second page was the hitter's results (like strato cards) vs. lefties. The 3rd page was a full description of the team's season and a layout of their stadium. Page 4 was the hitter's results vs righties. The last page was the Pitcher's results (again, like strato cards).
There were 3 Dice. One dice had a 1,2, and 3 (representing 10,20, and 30). The other had a combination of numbers of 1 through 4 and 1 through 5. The player results were a dice roll from 11 to 39. 19, 29, and 39 were the hardest numbers to hit.

At any rate, it was actually a fun game and wished it would have stuck around.
Kev
KEVINEHLE

Postby KEVINEHLE » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:48 am

Below is a link to the old classic Sports Illustrated baseball game. Not sure why it didn't catch on except that I couldn't tell you how statistically accurate the game was.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4642/sports-illustrated-baseball http://boardgamegeek.com/image/248111

Kev[/img]
KEVINEHLE

Postby Knerrpool » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:41 am

[quote:3570f89c65]
I'm 66 (will hit 67 in Sept).

"Spider 67" comes from Univ. of Richmond, Class of '67. Played H.S. football against Charlie Manuel and Jerry May's dad was my H.S. Civics teacher.[/quote:3570f89c65]

Spider, I'm a UR grad as well - class of 1990 (which makes me 43). Go Spiders.

I never played Strat baseball as a kid. However, I was one of the handful that actually played Strat Hockey. I'm waiting for that to become an online game any day now. :wink:
Knerrpool

Postby keyzick » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:55 am

44...started playing Strat in '76...I think it came with the Pirates and Padres...odd combo!

And for whoever posted about Longball...yes, I played tons of games on that. My friend and I both won a free Longball game when we were 11 years old, by playing the creator (a guy named Tim Ashburn) head to head in our local mall, and beating him! We got to pick our team and who he played with...this was back in '79 (so the '78 season), and I think we picked the Red Sox, and gave him the Mariners or Blue Jays, who were only in their 2nd or 3rd year post-expansion at the time.
keyzick

Postby BergRad » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:34 pm

61.............first SOM cardset:1964.

Found and ordered SOM from a very small coupon on the inside back cover of TSN.

Not lying..........TSN. How ironic is that in light of what happened at 5 PM today?
BergRad

Postby gbrookes » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:34 am

[quote:51d1ffb3e9="ehlekev"][quote:51d1ffb3e9="Geoff Brookes"]51 years old. Started playing Strat with the 1970 season cards - the year before they introduced the lefty/righty split cards. I saw an ad in a comic book. I sent in the coupon to get the brochure, and then ordered 6 teams - Montreal, Philadelphia (my brother's favorite team), Baltimore, Cincinatti, Pittsburgh, and Minnesota.

This was all at the age of 10. I played the game with my younger brother, who was 7 at the time! My Dad played a few games with us, but my brother and I played all the time for years, playing quite literally thousands of games.

I discovered online strat just about 4 years ago. :)

What a great game![/quote:51d1ffb3e9]

Geoff, those poor 70s Phillies must have been consistently crushed by the Orioles, Reds, Pirates, and Twins that year. Your poor brother got to realize early on how sad his 1970 Phillies were firsthand. :wink:

Kev[/quote:51d1ffb3e9]

:)

Yes! But it made it that much sweeter when players like Mike Schmidt developed into stars. And then of course the Phillies went on a long run of successful teams, with the odd setback here and there.

BTW, he became a Philadelphia fan in every sport except for NFL football, where his favorite team has always been the Detroit Lions. Yes, the Detroit Lions. He should win some kind of award for being a faithful fan over 5 decades! He became a Philadelphia fan because his house league hockey team was the Flyers!!!!

Yep - there is a dedicated strat and sports fan - it was always the Phillies for him, even in the terrible early 70's.

Another BTW - one of the most amazing sports accoplishments of all time was Steve Carlton winning 27 games for the Phillies in (?) 1971. The Phillies MIGHT have won 54 games as a TEAM. He had half of their wins!!!
gbrookes

Postby fredpaii » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:23 pm

[quote:1a7d597fe5="keyzick"]44...started playing Strat in '76...I think it came with the Pirates and Padres...odd combo!

And for whoever posted about Longball...yes, I played tons of games on that. My friend and I both won a free Longball game when we were 11 years old, by playing the creator (a guy named Tim Ashburn) head to head in our local mall, and beating him! We got to pick our team and who he played with...this was back in '79 (so the '78 season), and I think we picked the Red Sox, and gave him the Mariners or Blue Jays, who were only in their 2nd or 3rd year post-expansion at the time.[/quote:1a7d597fe5]

Smart kids! Sounds liike a great time for a couple die-hards.

Where exactly did you play him? In Sears? Men's casuals?

The M's did have Buhner and Edgar back then, didn't they. And maybe AROD and Junior? Presley? Maybe not yet though.
fredpaii

ehlekev/Sports Illustrated game

Postby oldhat2 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:55 pm

Checking that link and see that it went by "Pennant Race"! I started board game baseball with that set. '71 or '72 I think. Fell in love with it! I remember a great pitchers duel with Palmer beating Sonny Siebert 1-0.
My brother and I just wore the thing out. A couple years later a friend said he had a game called Strat-o-Matic, thought I'd give it a try even though nothing could be as good as "Pennant Race". I was wrong....Strat-O offered more options and more realistic results. Just seeing that name "Pennant Race" brings it all back. Thanks for that! :)
oldhat2

Postby oldhat2 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:03 pm

I don't see the box to the Pennant Race game, but the game board third from the left is certainly the one. One would put the hitters card right on the board in the corresponding batters box. Pitchers card on the mound....
oldhat2

Postby oldhat2 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:09 pm

Sorry, that was the box! Missed it 1st time around. Also must have been '73 using '72 stats, as that was the only year that game was called 'Pennant Race" This is incredible to me to see that image again!
Thanks again for the reminder!
oldhat2

Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx