Event 5

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Postby TomSiebert » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:42 am

Last night, I lost two of three games to a team with Four NL Players in Event 5, League Four. Game 1 was won by the Brewers' Chris Campuano, who is now 4-1. Game 3 was saved by the Cardinals' Jason Motte, who was just picked up as a Free Agent EARLIER IN THE DAY. The manager dropped AL players to pick up Motte.

Earlier over the weekend, the manager picked up the Padres' Tony Gwynn.

The manager is ignoring emails about his choices. He is clearly choosing to operate outside the rules of the game.

This is beyond the realms of mistake, and, in my opinion, far beyond the realms of penalty points.

I think I should be given those lost games as victories. And, I would go so far as to suggest ANY team that was defeated by a NL pitcher in this league get that loss turned into a win.

Otherwise, this season should be scuttled and restarted, with players keeping the rosters they have and the faulty manager replaced, while a replacement manager with no bearing on points takes his place.

If not, this league is a farce.

tws
TomSiebert

violation by me

Postby travelingjack » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:23 am

event 5 league 3- My team, Lethargic Movements

I used an AL player (Ryhmes) for 6 games a few days ago.
travelingjack

Postby Spider 67 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:37 pm

I would be in favor of the commish changing the penalty for violators of using a player from the wrong league. Rather than a 10 point penalty per player used, make the penalty one point per game won when using an ineligible player - with that point going to the losing team. This would give more compensation to players in the league with the owner who hasn't dropped players - especially since one playoff spot may be won by that owner.

The 25-point for using a stadium from the wrong league seems fair.

Mesquiton's point about the comparison with overuse of a reliever is well taken. There could be a minimum penalty to the violating of a 10-point penalty (although I personally favor the above suggestion).

(Changed to remove offending comments)
Last edited by Spider 67 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spider 67

Postby the splinter » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:16 pm

[quote:9330ffe3f4]make the penalty one point per game won when using an ineligible player - with that point going to the losing team[/quote:9330ffe3f4]

nice idea...but these violations effect the entire league not just the 2 teams that played the game. The wins and losses effect the races through out the league.
the splinter

Postby thisisdan26 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:18 am

The initial ruling that I made is final. Whether an ineligible player pitched 1/3 of an inning or had 1 AB, is irrelevant. The fact is, he saw game time when he should never have. I do feel bad for anyone who made the mistake of picking up an ineligible player and letting them play, however, the rules are the rules. I would feel bad for a manager who had a reliever go 200.1 innings too, but there are measures that can be taken to avoid any and all of these penalties.

When it comes to managers accidentally picking up an ineligible FA player and then dropping them right away (presumably because they just remembered its illegal) there will be no penalty assessed because the player did not participate in a game.

I will work to see if there is anyway to limit the draft pool in this event in the future, but I do not think it will happen. The fact is, you're joining an AL/NL ONLY league....would you draft a DH in a non DH league? The draft would let you, but it is up to each individual to make sure that they understand and read the rules carefully.

P.S. I would like to get peoples overall opinions of this Event (penalty issues aside). For the future, I would definitely have a 10% drop for the entire season, as well as keeping the $60 mill cap. I was thinking if enough people liked the idea, we could use the "unleashed" version for an event, maybe instead of the AL/NL only.
thisisdan26

Postby keyzick » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:07 am

I really like the NL/AL only with $60M cap...I'd say keep it. It's a shame TSN doesn't allow for the filtering by league like they do with ATG though.

Personally...I'm in AL-only league...drafted for an AL-only team...had a bad draft, but ended up #1 in waivers. When making my claims, I'd forgotten it was AL-only and wasted my #1 on Hanley Ramirez!! I also had other waiver picks of NL players to really screw my team over...BUT...prior to the season starting, someone emailed the league a reminder that it was AL-only. I promptly had to drop NL for AL players (which was just scraps at that point) before game 1. I was able to pull together a decent team of AL ONLY players, and am tied for first.

The moral of the story is that for those who complain of HAL sticking you with wrong-league players after missing your draft choice, that obstacle can STILL be overcome.
keyzick

Postby gstanis » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:55 pm

I made 4 attempts prior to the league starting to have my stadium changed and they fell on deaf ears. Its not like I can just go in and drop the stadium like players. It was caught ahead of the league starting and multiple attemps were made to correct it.
gstanis

Postby mesquiton » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:55 pm

Now that things appear to be settled, here are all the Event 5 AL/NL-only vioations I'm aware of to date. Please post any corrections, but appeals, if any, will need to be directed to the Commish. The penalties are -10pts for each ineligible player used, -25pts for ineligible ballpark, to be deducted from Event 5 scores in the standings:

League 1: none

League 2: none

League 3:

blackjack (Rhymes) = -10pts
dengar! (Ziegler, Pavano, Ogando) = -30pts
gstanis (Target, Thomas) = -35pts
wwwetz (Putz, Vizquel) = -20pts

League 4:

papasturgeon (Mujica, Capuano, Betancourt, Gwynn, Motte) = -50pts
ShakeyBoomer (Richard, Ramirez, Robertson) = -30pts

League 5:

glanny (Olivo, Bourgeois) = -20pts

League 6: none

Note: The above are AL/NL vioations only. It appears that stadium re-use penalties (-25pts) have also been incurred by socalchiro, THE GERMS and the splinter.
Last edited by mesquiton on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mesquiton

Postby gstanis » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Time out!!!!!!

Oliver was traded to me because a manager in my league had a zero budget left and ask me to take him to drop him so his budget didn't get screwed up. I traded for him and dropped him immediately and picked someone else up within two minutes.

There is no way I am getting penalized 10 points for helping get the rosters correct.

That is ********!!!!!!
gstanis

Postby boyer14 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:57 pm

In league 3:

It does not appear that Panda1 used any illegal players - If he had one he never was used in a game. So by the ruling of the commish I do not see a penalty there.

gstanis did use Brad Thomas, but not Oliver. I think that is the illegal player he is penalized for. He took him in a trade, but then did not release him before the games that night and he was used for a couple of innings in 1 game.
boyer14

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship