Event 5

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Event 5

Postby thisisdan26 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:39 pm

Here is the final ruling on the multiple violations in this Event:

There will be a -25 point penalty assessed to the manager(s) who have used an incorrect ballpark for their AL/NL league. This is the same penalty amount for re-using ballparks.

There will also be a -10 point for EACH ineligible player used by a manager. The ineligible player(s) must be dropped ASAP, and failure to adhere to this request within 4 days (Monday 10/24 by 10:00PM EST) will be disqualified from Event 5 and will receive Zero points, along with the negative penalties.

The rules of this Event and others have been clarified and explained on this forum (which I, and others have [b:e4fa595b27]strongly[/b:e4fa595b27] encouraged managers to check on a frequent basis) as well as the homepage.
Last edited by thisisdan26 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
thisisdan26

Postby TomSiebert » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:45 pm

We've got a team that picked up NL players in our all-AL Event 5, League 4 as well.

tws
TomSiebert

Postby thisisdan26 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:08 am

Thanks for the heads up on that....please post any violations in this thread.
thisisdan26

Postby TomSiebert » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:07 am

Turns out there were TWO teams with NL players in Event 5 - League 4.

One manager used the San Diego Padres Edward Mujica through game 33. Mujica went 1-0 with 3 saves, and the team is currently in first place.

The other team had two players -- Clayton Richards and Ramon Ramirez -- who contributed one win each in a cumulative five games. That team is currently in last place.

The team manager who used Mujica has explained he was unaware Mujica is a NL-er, and has appealed to League members to waive the penalty. Two league members disagree, but I have pointed out that the commissioner will ultimately determine penalties and appeals.

Thank you.

tws
TomSiebert

Postby boyer14 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:32 pm

As one of the players that is unaffected by these penalties and in fairness to the individuals in Event 5 League 3 that used AL players in our NL league - all appeared to be accidental and of short duration with little effect on the outcomes. Use of a player for 33 games as described in League 4 may be a little different.

In addition, the one individual that used an AL stadium - Target Field - in our NL league - appealed several times before the start of the season to have his stadium changed, once to the commish (who referred him to TSN) and other times to TSN, and received no response.

With the ATG cards when one plays a subset league (as we do in Barnstormers) there is no access to the cards outside the subset. This would be nice to set up for the Tourney next year if we do a subset event.

I may be in the minority here, but I would ask for mercy to those involved. I know I had trouble during the initial draft and post-waivers with adding (and then having to delete) players from the other league before getting it right.

Doug
boyer14

Postby mesquiton » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:40 pm

I'm all for mercy, but I think the commish deserves a little mercy here, too. Seems a bit unfair to ask him to split hairs and pick winners and losers, rather than applying the same ruling across the board.

Seems to me rule number one for any game/tourney is to ascertain the rules, then follow them. It appears that only a few managers failed to do so. The rules were posted, clarified and repeated in this forum, readily available to everybody who made the effort to look, which apparently almost everybody did.

I'd much rather see nobody make mistakes, and nobody get penalized. But, unfortunately, mistakes have been made and need to be dealt with.

If somebody really has special circumstances, then by all means appeal to the commish for a special ruling.

But, as for the duration, seriousness or effect of wrong-league player violations, I'd point out that managers have always been penalized the full 10pts for each reliever used more than 200 IP, even if that reliever only pitches for one additional out, and even if it was only "accidental".

I have sympathy for folks who make mistakes, we all make mistakes, I've certainly made my share. Nobody says anybody intended to break the rules.

But at some point it seems lines need to be drawn and we need to be responsible for our own actions, even when they are "just mistakes" or we try to undo them too late.

Just my 2 cents.
mesquiton

Postby Spider 67 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:46 pm

Event 5, League 5 has one team who had 2 NL players in our AL league for the first three games only.
Spider 67

Postby keyzick » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:55 am

Event 5 League 4...one manager with 4 NL players...repeatedly being told to drop all NL players. We're at game 42 and he just added his latest 2 NL guys 3 days ago.
keyzick

Postby the splinter » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:27 am

[b:61090b40db]Event 5 League 3[/b:61090b40db]

Yet another player violation. Second effort from this GM. Tossed Pavano in an NL only league.

I feel this leagues intergrity is lost. We have a GM playing in an AL park and have had 3 player violations(so far) by 2 different teams.

Sorry...no mery IMO. You sign up for this Tour aware of the rules. You sign up for the Event aware of the rules. It is simple...follow the rules or be penalized.
the splinter

Postby boyer14 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 am

Mesquiton,

Your points are well taken. Apparently leagues are continuing to see violations even after the issue of illegal players is pointed out. I think there is no other option than assessing penalties. I guess I was assuming that these violations were few in number and would not continue as the season progressed??

These violations do have potential implications for the other managers in a league. For example, in league 3 the manager with the illegal stadium (Target Field in an NL league) is in first place with a 3 game lead after 63 games. If he should gain a playoff spot using this extreme stadium he could take away opportunities for others to reach playoffs. The violator would lose 25 points, but others could lose potential playoff points also.

I am in favor of some kind of sub-set system fix (like is done with the ATG sets) that makes it impossible to make player or stadium violations.
boyer14

Next

Return to --- Player's Championship