The Secret Formula 2010

Postby bkeat23 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:19 pm

I stumbled on this when I misclicked, as I only play ATG, not the 2xxx games. I wondered why anyone would go outside a 1D at SS unless it's Banks or maybe Pesky :oops:

I'll share my formula.

Get .400 OBP in position 1-8 (or 9 in DH leagues)
Put the fasted guy first
Highest BA 3rd
Most HR 4th
Best bunt/HR/low GBA 2nd.

As much as possible after that keep power in 5-6-7 and speed at the bottom.

Some other keys....
Bold is good on a hitters card, pitchers not so much.
Get pitchers that get hitters out a lot.

I think the D issues don't translate well from ATG to 2xxx and back, but the others I listed should be universal. :wink:

I greatly enjoyed reading the posts in this thread, thanks.
bkeat23

Postby Irahays » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:18 pm

My second secret formula team:

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=303720

Good start (3-0 as of this posting) :)

The first one has also gotten hot after a miserable 5-10 start.
Irahays

Postby AeroDave10 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:47 pm

[quote:34dbf3f422="Irahays"]My second secret formula team:

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=303720

Good start (3-0 as of this posting) :)

The first one has also gotten hot after a miserable 5-10 start.[/quote:34dbf3f422]

3-0 and 5-10 are obviously both too early to tell how well you'll end up, but from the looks of the team you posted, I'm not sure it matches that well with the ballpark you're in, except for a few players.

You play in a HR-friendly stadium, but quite a few of your pitchers have bpHRs. Your stadium slightly favors righty power hitters, but you only have a low priced DH and a 3B there, and even Young isn't the best fit. The rest, except for Fielder and the catcher platoon, are glorified slap hitters, though Cano and Crawford do play well most times regardless of park.

I guess what I'm asking is, how's this team meeting the "formula"?
AeroDave10

Postby Irahays » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:23 pm

[quote="AeroDave10I] guess what I'm asking is, how's this team meeting the "formula"?[/quote]

I followed the formula as close as possible with regards to salary distribution. Ballparks did not have a material effect when following the formula. Camden is a hitters park but more of neutral park in my mind when it comes to lefty/righties. Certainly it won'td a big differenct over the course of a season.

Crawford and some of the pitchers I have aren't idea for Camden, but we can't go back and change stadiums. What I concentrated on was following the salary breakdown.

And Mr. Weeks is not happy with you labeling him at "low price." He prefers to be kown as the best offensive value in the game. :)
Irahays

Postby J-Pav » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:29 pm

[b:926c5fa8f6]Dave[/b:926c5fa8f6]:

His team has $22 mil of SP, $9 mil of RP and $49 mil of offense, with 1s and 2s up the middle. The salary construction is a little skewed by the non *SPs for pitching and the low dollar platoons on offense, but if you squint a little you can see it.

I agree that Camden isn't probably the best choice for this team, but that's only in hindsight. Change Crawford to Holliday and Young to A-Rod and you're right there, esp with Fielder as the lefty cleanup hitter. So maybe his original plan was more in line with how you saw it shaping up, but he just missed a couple of key players.

I argue that ballpark effects should not overly influence your roster selections. I think it's much more important to have the best available player rather than the most "Camden friendly" available righty slugger (in this instance).

I think his lineup can win. Will Camden hurt his own pitching too much without benefitting his offense enough? We'll only know after the season plays out.

But it does beg the question: Was [b:926c5fa8f6]Ira[/b:926c5fa8f6] okay to go with best available player, or should he have gone with best available Camden friendly player?

Thoughts anyone?
J-Pav

Postby Irahays » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:41 pm

[quote:dc94943308="J-Pav"][But it does beg the question: Was [b:dc94943308]Ira[/b:dc94943308] okay to go with best available player, or should he have gone with best available Camden friendly player?
[/quote:dc94943308]

Time will tell.... What's scary is how dead on you were with Holliday and A-rod....

I also went with a non-*sp for this one and wanted Carpenter bad. I really didn't even realize he was the only non* SP over 6 million until I did this. I even offered Lilly/Weeks to the guy that got him.

My biggest decision with this team was to stick with Jimmy Rollins. I could have upgraded to Scutaro.

Is anyone else doing the "formula"? Post your squads, let's see how they do!
Irahays

Postby J-Pav » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:02 pm

Rollins is hard to figure out. Most times I don't think his defense is enough to overcome his terrible offense. I'd rather have Wilson or even Vizquel!

But as I watch the rosters of some of the better managers, time and again Rollins is there. Once in awhile he even puts up some decent numbers on offense. I'd probably rather have had Scutaro given the choice, because I do think there's merit to [b:32e4b1acfe]helium[/b:32e4b1acfe]'s notions about more effectively moving through the lineup. Rollins is such a rally killer that in a 12 team league it can really bog you down - but your pitchers will really love that 1 in Camden, when an x-chance out can be crucial in keeping down your opponent's big inning.
J-Pav

Postby AeroDave10 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:48 pm

I think defense is so difficult to assess in SOM, just as it is in real life. You don't have any great statistics that you can look at like you can with offense. In real life they have UZR and a few other metrics, but those don't really apply in SOM, and the online version is so limited in what stats it prints out, so unless you want to do a lot of work by analyzing box scores, you just have to have faith that a 1e7 at SS will be a great investment. By the way, I actually think Rollins is a good guy to have in Camden. He needs the park's help ;)
AeroDave10

Postby J-Pav » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:39 pm

My last ring was in Camden: I had Rollins, Bourn and Uggla, so maybe [b:a8be646853]Ira[/b:a8be646853] isn't too far off after all!
J-Pav

Postby AeroDave10 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:08 am

Uggla may be one of the best values in the entire set. He just seems to hit in every park, and may even hit enough to play 2B every day if you can compensate at SS and CF.
AeroDave10

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx