PC Tour Standings thru 12/18 - Semi-Finals Brackets

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Postby Sarah0808 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:56 am

Do we have an estimate when the Semis will start.
Sarah0808

Postby mesquiton » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:05 pm

Depends. The last league [url=http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/league/standings.html?group_id=118126](Ev3 "makeup" league)[/url] won't finish its regular season until December 10. Only one eligible manager from that league will (probably) make the Semis, but seedings can't be finalized until he's finished, and the earliest the Semis could realistically draft would be the following week, with play starting December 20.

If the last manager makes the playoffs (possible but unlikely), it could be Christmas week at the earliest before teams can draft.

In short, looks like next week is the earliest the Commish will have all the info he needs to make the call, with December 20 the earliest possible date for play to begin, and maybe not starting until after the holidays.
mesquiton

Postby Spider 67 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:11 am

[quote:5e023178af]The last league (Ev3 "makeup" league) won't finish its regular season until December 10.[/quote:5e023178af]

Actually the Ev 3 Makeup League will finish the regular season on Dec. 17.

The final Event 4 league will complete it's playoff by Dec. 13, at the latest. Seedings with the probable exception of one team will be known at that time. (That team would have to lose 41 of his final 48 games to miss the SEMIs.)

I would propose that, when the Ev 4 playoffs are concluded, we finalize seedings by crediting the Ev 3 Makeup team with 50% wins in the remaining games of the Ev 3 makeup league. While this may make a small difference in the seedings, it's a relatively small price to pay for the avoiding a two-week delay for the SEMIs.

If the commish goes along with this (or something similar) and all teams have their SEMI teams ready to go by Dec. 14, we can possibly make the Dec 20 starting date.[/quote]
Spider 67

Semifinalists Set

Postby mesquiton » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:53 pm

With all but one league reporting at least regular season results, it appears the 36 Semifinalists are set, except for final seeding. As noted above, the last league won't wrap up until December 17, so looks like the Semis won't get underway until after the holidays, unless the Commish decides to try to rush things before then.

Tiebreakers are now included for the Top 36. One tie remains to be broken: after all other tiebreakers (championships won, finals made, playoffs made, total regular season wins), [b:e284e063c6]McBurns[/b:e284e063c6] and [b:e284e063c6]WJS6768[/b:e284e063c6] still appear to be tied for 31st, so looks like they will need to do a "pick-3" to determine their final spots.
mesquiton

Postby Terry101 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:58 pm

An alternate. I note that I am number 37. In the case that someone (in the 36) does not play you can count on me to step in. Thanks
Terry101

Postby McBurns » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:39 pm

If you need a pick 3 let me know. I'm from Illinois if that helps. I check the boards daily.
McBurns

Re starting the semi-finals, and seeding

Postby gbrookes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:07 am

Commish - comments? Info for the commish and the PC group

Note - harpo4ever has now clinched a spot in the semi's, mathematically and without any tie-breakers required. Even if he didn't win a single additional game in the event 3 make up league or the event 4 playoffs, he would be in the PC semi-finals without requiring a tie-breaker.

The playoffs in the last event 4 league are now underway, with the finals starting on Thursday night this week. The only remaining playoff participant that has potential points for seeding purposes is harpo.

If a deal could be worked out early for harpo's PC semi-final seeding, then the PC semi's could start already. If not, then the event 3 make-up league will be done by a week from this Friday. Harpo's event 3 team does not appear likely to make the playoffs in event 3.

Commish? harpo?

/Geoff
gbrookes

Postby mesquiton » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:55 pm

It's not quite that simple. Harpo is not the only one affected...several other managers' seeds could also change depending on where Harpo ends up, and we won't even know who they are until his league finishes. And, with serpentine seeding, even one change has "ripple" effects throughout the other divisions.

Some might like it or might not care, but a manager who gets arbitrarily bumped to a less-desired division than the one he earned by the rules might rightfully complain. Likewise for all the other managers who might get somebody they don't want bumped into their division.

IMHO, this situation was totally foreseeable to anyone who can read a calendar. If starting the Semis before the holidays was the priority, then the too-late league should never have been drafted in the first place. But nobody objected then. At this point I think we should let things play out normally, according to the rules, and maybe take a lesson for future tournaments.

Besides, trying to rush things in the busy time right before the holidays could cause more problems than it solves. Even with no objections, it would only take one or two of the 36 managers not getting the word, and we'd have leagues not drafting until after the holidays anyway.
mesquiton

McBurns & WJS6768

Postby mesquiton » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:23 pm

[b:4182097e5e]McBurns[/b:4182097e5e] wrote:
[quote:4182097e5e]If you need a pick 3 let me know. I'm from Illinois if that helps. I check the boards daily. [/quote:4182097e5e]

Guys, I have no idea when the Commish might check in, but seems like you could go ahead and do the pick-3 at your convenience. If no objections, we'll give [b:4182097e5e]McBurns[/b:4182097e5e] Illinois, and if [b:4182097e5e]WJS6768[/b:4182097e5e] would like to post a state, we'll use that night's pick-3 to break the tie, low number wins...?
mesquiton

agree w/ Mesquiton...

Postby SteadyEddie33 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:39 am

The conversation about starting dates took place way back when, so it doesn't make sense to revisit now. It was clear that the make-up leagues would push things back. Maybe in the future we lay out the windows for any and all makeup leagues in the initial tour schedule, just so we're all clear and aren't catering to the needs of the few (or the one) too much.

Even more significant is the impact of the seeding, imo. Just one spot could make a huge difference in competition.

I likened my entry to Boise State earlier, so this is just the lull between NCAA conference championships and the actual BCS bowls I guess. Never did like that lull, but what can you do? :wink:
SteadyEddie33

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship