Draft Strategy

Draft Strategy

Postby pstar519 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:55 pm

What do you think of ordering your draft picks in such a way as to ensure that you lose out on a lot of picks, thereby getting placed at the top of the waiver list? For example, place someone whom you really don't want and whom you [i:0c23f8c1e7]know[/i:0c23f8c1e7] will be chosen early in a low draft spot. I think this could be a good strategy if there are a lot of guys you want for your team whom you are quite certain will not be in high demand. Then, you could put all the extremely popular guys (like Dubose and Feliz in 2003) whom you [i:0c23f8c1e7]do[/i:0c23f8c1e7] want at the top of your draft list, and then get the less popular guys whom nobody wants (and therefore don't get drafted) on waivers. Do I have something here or am I not thinking straight? Anyone tried something like this before?
pstar519

Postby cummings2 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Most of the long in the tooth vets do something like that, they master the drafting process so as to end up with a really good team and a high waiver pick. You're right about your ideas...I think.
cummings2

Postby J-Pav » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:12 pm

I'm posting a lot today so I'm probably wearing out my welcome...

...but when I read something like this I'm left scratching my head. Drafting guys that you [i:63f49ec007]don't[/i:63f49ec007] want is a bit like hitting yourself on the head with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop.

I have a hard enough time getting the guys that I [i:63f49ec007]do[/i:63f49ec007] want. Why would you waste an opportunity to get them in exchange for guys that you [i:63f49ec007]already know[/i:63f49ec007] you don't want?

Draft the team you want, first. Then learn how to rank order your guys (which comes from the experience of drafting several teams and seeing what works). I've been able to snag amazing mid to low ranked picks because oftentimes everybody chooses to pass on a guy they think they will not get.

In addition, there are ALWAYS amazing guys passed over in the autodraft. Usually there are enough for everyone to go around. Why waste autodraft picks to have a number one waiver selection? Who are you gonna take? Well, if you want him that bad then make that guy number one on your autodraft card in the first place.

Once you can spot the bargain players, you can try things like drafting the top five salary SPs with a bunch of bargain guys, hoping to get maybe two stud starters, then dump the other three for guys in the FA pool. A strategy like that (in 2005) makes a bit more sense (you can also do the same with offensive players).

Maybe it's me, but I rarely care if I'm 1st or 12th in the waiver process. I almost always seem to get the guys I want on waivers, and if I don't, there are plenty of others in the FA pool.

My two cents.
J-Pav

Postby cummings2 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:48 pm

:lol:

Very nicely put J-pav (would you mind if I call you J-Lo from now on? :wink: )

I agree with what you said, essentially how I draft, not worrying too much about what others do nor waiver pick. But you do have to agree that many list the podsedniks and amezegas and ausmus low only so as to bump in waivers.

That being said, as I stated earlier, not my practice, but I'm not long in the tooth...merely teething at this point.
cummings2

Postby Jerlins » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:21 pm

I'm just the opposite. I normally put guys I know will get chosen at the bottom, if I get them, great, if not, well, like the post before, plenty of FA's for the cheap available. Pods, Blanco, Ausmus, Alvarez are some of my favorites for this strategy. Seems to work, 15 seasons and never a waiver pick below 3rd. I've actually reaped the benefits of putting Santana or Johnson in the middle of the pack and have gotten them 2 times. I'd rather have the pick of the leftover free agents which is normally shocking to see whats left. If a player is that far down your list, chances are he probably wouldn't have fit in your plans anyways. This strategy allows me to analyze my division opponents, the league's ballparks, etc etc. so I can make a halfway intelligent waiver decision. Having that choice as opposed to someone random that may not fit the rest of your team or your opponents is more crucial to me. Choosing Ichiro with your first pick and getting Craig Wilson can mess up ones team. At least with a high waiver pick, you can correct this. If you have the 12th pick, you may have to waste 5 waiver picks to insure you getting an adequate replacement.
Jerlins

Postby LMBombers » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:50 am

I always fill my AD spots 21-25 with players I hope NOT to get. You can always find backup scrubs on the FA list and 2 or 3 of these guys would not make my opening day roster anyway. Might as well take advantage of a system that gives you the same credit for a higher waiver priority position if you miss on your AD list at your #1 choice or #25 choice.
LMBombers

Postby durantjerry » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:03 pm

I think your strategy is sound. To me, it doesn't really matter who your backups are except in certain specific situations. For example, you draft L Walker and want Valent to back up, or you know you need Merloni to platoon vs lhp's. Otherwise, backups are interchangeable for the most part or they won't play a significant amount of time to matter, with the results of their season mainly determined by luck rather than percentages because of their lack of PA's. Having a high waiver pick can be beneficial and have a larger impact on your team than losing out on a few popoular backups IMO.
durantjerry

Postby J-Pav » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:06 pm

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2005/team/team_other.html?user_id=56242

Here's a team I just drafted.

I got all 10 pitchers from the autodraft, dropped one and added Sabathia and Seo from the FA pool.

Of my hitters, I missed Bonds at #1 (thanks [b:84e505fc12]Spicki[/b:84e505fc12]) and missed Clayton at SS.

I had the 11th waivers pick: I took [i:84e505fc12]Brady Clark[/i:84e505fc12] first, [i:84e505fc12]Helton[/i:84e505fc12] second and [i:84e505fc12]Rollins[/i:84e505fc12] third. I threw [i:84e505fc12]Drew[/i:84e505fc12] in fourth in case I missed Helton and maybe Drew was passed over (as sometimes happens).

[i:84e505fc12]Laird[/i:84e505fc12], [i:84e505fc12]Taguchi[/i:84e505fc12] and [i:84e505fc12]LuGo[/i:84e505fc12] were added in the post waivers. Now, why was it again that I needed a number one waivers pick???

Also, to clarify: I thought that what was being presented was "drafting guys you don't want so you get a high waivers pick." This makes zero sense to me; however, drafting guys [i:84e505fc12]you do want[/i:84e505fc12] that may not be available late in the draft (because of their popularity) makes good sense, especially when you can get that player every so often deep down on the autodraft card, but if you don't, you won't really miss him (if that makes any sense).

All that being said, I'm still not a fan of "shooting for high waivers picks" in
a goofy auto league (or any league for that matter).
J-Pav

Postby Jerlins » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:06 am

It also works the other way as well J-Pav. With the team you just mentioned, you got all the players you've chosen. Wonderful, I wouldn't care where I was waiver choice wise either. What happens when you miss out on Johnson, Santana starter wise, Sanchez, Hammond, Walker cheap reliever wise, and Abreu, Kotsay, Castillo and the like hitting wise? I'll put Blanco and Ausmus (plenty of .50 catchers out there), Pods (wouldn't start on any team I had and plenty of speed guys left over), and Alverez (who I owuldn't imagine using on any team) for the opportunity to secure a higher pick.

The players you mentioned you obtained in waivers are an impressive lot. You fail to mention who you didn't get who would have perhaps been a better fit on your team with a higher pick. I'd be curious if there was someone out there who, when seen, you said "damn, if I only had a higher pick".

The first players I've chosen with my last 3 waivers picks (2 #2's and a #1) are Bonds, Castillo (certainly #1 picks in most pre-drafts) and Drew. Now why was it again I needed a number one waivers pick??? :D
Jerlins

Next

Return to Strategy