How important is the line up?

How important is the line up?

Postby ANDYCOCHRANE » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:43 am

I have read a few different articles about team line ups. One said that each slot in the batting order has a specific purpose to it, whilst others talk in general terms. How important, for example, is bunt ability in the # hole? One thing I read says concentrate on a good bunter at #2, another says low DP's are the most important.

Also, #3 is usually best overall hitter, but is this in all cases? What if the best hitter is also the best BPHR hitter, i.e. Bonds, in which case should he not be in clean up? Also, best clutch position. Some say ALWAYS have best clutch hitter at #5, others say consider TB as well and put best clutch at #7.

Any comments on your experiences?
ANDYCOCHRANE

Postby SCOTTBROWN » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:07 am

i think most will agree....in the #2 hole you want low DPs and higher TBs too.....and in all cases, yes, your best hitter should hit in the #3 hole...

the bunting isnt as important here because you are not in complete control, hal is...and one never knows what hal will do.........
SCOTTBROWN

Postby ANDYCOCHRANE » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:32 am

What you say about bunting was pretty much what I had in mind. I was presuming that it could be more important if you were playing the board game, as I think the article I was reading was talking about; although obviously a lot of the information was relevant to the TSN game.

I like the idea of a good bunter at #2 but was worried whether or not HAL would do what I wanted. As it is I have a low DP player at #2. I seem to have often put my best hitter 4th though, why is it so important to put him 3rd? Is it because he is guaranteed to be at bat in the Ist? Should the next best hitter be next?
ANDYCOCHRANE

Postby Play By The Rules » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:18 am

I think it's a lot more important than most people think, I believe that certain players perform better in certain slots in the order. I also believe that staggering your LH and SH bats is important too, don't make it easy for HAL.

The sabermetricians will roll their eyes here... :roll:
Play By The Rules

Postby geekor » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:31 pm

You want you best hitter #3 because he will get more AB's. If he is your best hitter, you want the most Ab's as possible for him, hence you want him 3rd, so he gets a lot, but hopefully is coming up with men on base as well.
geekor

Postby MICHAELTARBELL » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:48 pm

Luckyman did a great thread on this subject on the old boards...it was so long ago that you can't get to it anymore, but I copied down the basics, and try to go by them. They were emphasised as the following...

-lineup considerations:
1-lead-off, great on-base, has a running *.
2-good on-base avoid gbA
3-your best hitter
4-your power hitter
5-another power hitter--emphasize good clutch
6-8 your weaker hitters---> should be good defenders
9- a good on-base.

mt :)
MICHAELTARBELL

Postby LANCEBOUSLEY » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:12 pm

1-lead-off, great on-base, has a running *.
2-good on-base avoid gbA
3-your best hitter
4-your power hitter
5-another power hitter--emphasize good clutch
6-8 your weaker hitters---> should be good defenders
9- a good on-base.

Other considerations:

1-i like a guy who is 14+ running as well...
2- i like the ob to be hits here....
3. ditto--- high ops... emphasis on "hitter" Drew would seem to work here but doesn't becuase he only has 20 something hits.
4. preferable a guy with lotsa hr's but medium hr's with a good number of "clean" xtra base hits works as well.
5. lottsa guys say "positive" clutch here but i say... there is the same percentage of chances with runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs as there are with 2 outs so..... the highest total of (RBI chances clutch x .5 + total of RBI chances none clutch situationx .5).. again preferable with a high total of "clean" xbh.
6-8 ditto prefer high hit/lower obp guys with some power... total base power not necessarily hr's. the better rbi potential guys on the top and the lesser toward the 8 spot.
9. your weakest hitter, hopefully either has lotsa obp or is a hr threat only.

just my two bits.
LANCEBOUSLEY

Postby Jerlins » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:54 pm

I prefer my weakest hitter in the 8 hole, having a nice secondary leadoff hitter batting 9th for the big hitters coming up. Otherwise, the opinions already expressed make sense.
Jerlins

Postby JdEarly » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:47 am

I agree with Jerlins on the #9 hitter. I like to have another leadoff type batter hitting there, who can get on base before the lineup starts over again.

And with the #2... if you can get a good bunter with high OBP who doesn't hit into a lot of DP's, he can be a very dangerous weapon. Then again, anyone who has that many things going for them will help your team.
JdEarly

Postby ANDYCOCHRANE » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:01 am

I have both Freel and L.Castillo. I want Freel to lead off and ideally would have Castillo second. But Castillo has lots of DP chances so I don't want him #2, but if I put him leadoff then Freel has to go #2 but he has the better OBP vs both sides and therefore I am losing a bit of OB by putting him second. I could put one of them #9 I suppose, but don't want to lose the ABs!

Hard work sorting out this line up thing!
ANDYCOCHRANE

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online 20xx