To Platoon or not to Platoon

To Platoon or not to Platoon

Postby kimkrichbaum2 » Thu May 25, 2006 5:32 pm

Hi!
I have a trial team with 5 platoons, but it does not seem to work out so well, cause HAL is not subbing in my platoon mates, when my opponest switches lefty for righty pitchers. There are so many great cheap platoons that I am tempted to do a lot, and then buy some bangers, and strong pitvhing. But if HAL wont cooperate, I'm thinking I should stick to one or two, what do you think?
kimkrichbaum2

Postby SCOTTBROWN » Thu May 25, 2006 9:00 pm

I have always limited my platoons to 3 at the most. Otherwise you have 5 guys in their starting against LHP and then in the 3rd inning a RHP comes in and your screwed.
SCOTTBROWN

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Thu May 25, 2006 11:56 pm

There are some rules to respect to have succesful platooning.

1- Ideally, you go with platoons in a non-dh league, to increase the chances of double switching.
2- Have cheap platoons (ideally with no player higher than 2M, exceptions can be made if you play in a non-dh league).
3- Ideally, choose players with higher injury risks, unless those players have absolutely no card at all on the weak side.
4- Bear in mind that your player facing rhp should play face around 90% of rhp, whereas your player facing lhp will be limited to 70% vs lhp (that percentage could go as low as 50% if the starter vs rhp is an injury-prone player). This is the consequence of facing more right-handed relievers than left-handed relievers combined to the fact that Hal gets to sleep and doesn't make the switch on those occasions. As a result, you can consider to go with a 8R (he'll face 90% of rhp), but you should avoid the 8L players and settle for 3L-4L players to complete them.
MARCPELLETIER

Good Comments

Postby kimkrichbaum2 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:26 am

Thanks,
That's really helpful. Based ib first post, I think three cheap platoons seems like what I'll aim for.
kimkrichbaum2

Postby cummings2 » Fri May 26, 2006 2:03 am

What Lucky said. 8)

Personally I rarely try more than two platoons, mostly for the fact that when it comes to maximizing my budget multiple platoons doesn't make much sense, but that is just a personal preference.
cummings2

Return to Strategy