How can I convince HAL to pinch hit for Jack Wilson?

How can I convince HAL to pinch hit for Jack Wilson?

Postby JEFFFESPERMAN » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:12 pm

Jack Wilson's current stats after 57 games (playing home games at Minute Maid) are BA .159 OBP .193 SLG .210

HAL has not once pinch hit for him in a game despite the fact that I have "avoid right-handed pitchers" selected and I have four players(Henry Blanco, Carl Everett, Denny Hocking and Marco Scutaro) on the bench who all have better cards and actual stats versus right-handed pitching.

Can anyone suggest a stategy for convincing HAL to do the right thing?[/url]
JEFFFESPERMAN

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:06 am

In my own experience, Hal is very reluctant to use pinch-hitters for ss-1 with rosters limited to 13 players.

Last year, I had Adam Everett (cheap hitter, ss-1) and Hal occasionally pinch-hit for him when my roster was at 14 players. But as soon as my roster would shrink due to injuries, Everett would remain in the game. Also, I had a left-fielder who could play ss (Figgins), so oftentimes, Hal would only use one player (the pinch-hitter would go to lf, and Figgins would move to ss).

Here is some games where Everett was pinch-hit:

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2005/league/boxscore.html?group_id=11446&g_id=782

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2005/league/boxscore.html?group_id=11446&g_id=809

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2005/league/boxscore.html?group_id=11446&g_id=836

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2005/league/boxscore.html?group_id=11446&g_id=842

Take note that Everett would be pinch-hit ONLY
--in the 9th inning
-- OR, if pinch-hit before the 9th inning, when a change of pitchers was done exactly before the upcoming of Everett.

Otherwise, Everett would remain in the line-up.

You might argue that Hal could use Hocking (a switch) to pinch-hit for Everett and take the field, which would also costs only one player, ut there is another problem with Hocking: he has no slugging whatsoever, and Hal loves slugging. So Hal is probably thinking that, at least in most cases, Hocking is not better than Everett.

Cal Everett is an ideal pinch-hitter, with his clutch and his slugging, but if I am right, you would need more flexibility with your roster to have him be as a pinch-hitter.
MARCPELLETIER

Postby cummings2 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:00 am

The only time when I've used pich hitters as an active part of my offensive strategy it was in ATG II in a non-DH league, what I did then was check all my hitters with "do not pinch hit for vs LHP/RHP" and I had a god ammount of BP arms available, so HAL pretty often PH for my pitchers.

Obviously it is different in a non-DH case, but I'd guess a similar setup could concievably work in '06: Marking all hitters but Jack Wilson with "do not pinch hit for vs L/R" and having listed (and in the bench of course) PHs for LHP/RHP as well as a defensive SS backup.

However, if the offense is stopping in Jack Wilson, whether early or late in the game, that is if Jack wilson is consistently the rally killer in your innings then I'd suggest a shakeup in the lineup, the numbers you posted are a bit low, even for his card considering Minute Maid. Hopefully he'll produce better for you.

What kind of defense are you playing in 2B? I ask because if you have a 3e19 or something like that it might be tough, even if you succeed in PH for Wilson and the strategy pays off, to hold on to leads with a flimsy MIF...unless you have an uber dominant pen and closer.

Hope some of this makes sense and as always, all best of luck.
cummings2

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:13 am

I forgot to mention that I had Everett set as "avoid rhp" as well.
MARCPELLETIER

Return to Strategy