Stealing

Stealing

Postby Palmtana » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:02 am

Bocachica's steal info: (B) *2-9,12/10,11 (15-9)

I understand the other numbers but what does the [b:a9c2742a0e]10,11[/b:a9c2742a0e] mean? I don't see an explanation in the online rules.

Castillo: (A) *7/- (19-11)

It would seem since he is an A rated stealer he would have a better chance of getting a lead than just a 7. Or are the letter and the lead rating not related? Would you set him to steal more with these numbers?

And if I could steal a little more advice, I know the star is a good thing but what exactly does it signify?

Thanks in advance.
Palmtana

Postby LANCEBOUSLEY » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:12 am

10-11 is a hiram get's picked off.

apparantly, SOM doesn't think that luis is that great a basestealer if you hold him.

* means the infield outs are changed for the batter following a * baserunner on base. more opportunities for hits depending on whether the runner is held etc.
LANCEBOUSLEY

Postby Palmtana » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:21 am

Thanks Akindian. I was looking at the 12 as the pick off number when it is a
lead number in addition to the 2-9.
Palmtana

Postby cummings2 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:23 am

[quote:b6d98d8133]After the offense declares his intention to steal, he would first roll all three dice (One 20-sided and two 6-sided) If a roll of 3-20 on the 20-sided die occurs continue with the normal steal sequence (re-rolling the 20-sided die if a steal is actually attempted). If a 1 or 2 is rolled on the 20-sided die you would refer to the Balk/Pickoff Rule

The set of numbers (numbers preceding slash) indicate a player's chance of establishing a good lead. [b:b6d98d8133]The second set of numbers (numbers following slash and before parenthesis) pertain to the runner's out stealing range[/b:b6d98d8133]. The third set of numbers (number in parenthesis) are the player's steal rating numbers. If the dice roll results fall within the first set of numbers, the runner has established a good lead and MUST steal. If the dice roll result falls within the second set of numbers the runner is automatically out stealing. If the dice roll value is not included in either the first two sets of numbers (good lead numbers or out stealing numbers), the baserunner has failed to establish a good lead and this is not a MUST attempt steal situation[/quote:b6d98d8133]

The way I understand things, the second set of numbers, after the "/" in bocachica's number are the automatically out stealing numbers. The possible pickoff happens when the roll is 1 and the possible balk when the roll is 2

the * simply means that the runner automatically gets his lead if not being held by the defense.

Also, remember that the stealing numbers are adjusted by the combined pitcher's HLD rating + Catcher's arm rating (from -5 to +5) and then on top of this you have to factor in if the runner was being held then subtract -2 to the safe steal with lead and -4 to the safe steal w/o lead.

For example adjusting Bocachica's (15-9) to a pitcher (-2) and a catcher (-1) when being held by the defense.

Bocachica (15,9)
Pitcher and Catcher= -3
Bocachica (12,6)
HLD = -2,-4
Bocachica (10,2)

If Bocachica fails to get his lead he has 10% chance of stealing 2nd base and if he gets his lead he has 50% chance of stealing 2nd base.

Stealing 3rd and home are slightly different.
cummings2

Postby 1crazycanuk » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:00 am

I may not be right but I go with the simple strategy...if a guy's an A with a * I set him to steal more. Anyone else do this?
1crazycanuk

Postby pedakrla » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:29 pm

canuck-

Even in Coors? I try to base my "steal more" decision on ballpark, quality of opposing pitching staff, number of sluggers on my own team, etc., plus the skills of the baserunner.

Just my 2 cents. :)
pedakrla

Postby UrbanShockers » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:23 pm

I check "don't steal" unless he's at least a 15 (usually higher) with no pickoff numbers, then set my steal to Con. or Very Con. Almost never check steal more: for me, not checking "don't steal" is the equivalent of "steal more".

I'll depart from the above for certain teams/parks/matchups, but infrequently.

Then again, I'm under .500 so far in two young, combined '06 seasons.
UrbanShockers

Postby Palmtana » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:58 pm

Thanks Cummungs2. It looks like the numbers after the / representing pickoffs is a common misconception judging from other remarks in this thread. Possibly because the online rules say:

[i:44842a9e6f]The first number is the dice-roll (2-12) probability that the runner will get a good lead; the second number is the roll he would be [b:44842a9e6f]picked off[/b:44842a9e6f].[/i:44842a9e6f]

Not that it matters. An out by any other name......

I'm also curious if the steal letter is just an overall "grade" for the runner which reflects his lead, automatic out, safe chances numbers. Or is there some stand alone significance to it.
Palmtana

Postby cummings2 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:35 pm

You're right, an out is an out...no matter how you call it.

I believe, the letter system is used when playing under the basic rules, SOM-OL plays under super-advanced rules, so the letter grade is a good way of quickly getting a read on a card but it isn't used in the calculations.

Canuck, I usually don't tag players to steal more...I usually leave that blank and control the steals through manager settings.
cummings2

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:53 pm

Urbanshockers,

I do exactly the same, and I always get higher succesful rate of stealing than league's average, so I think we have a good strategy.

I never check "steal more" because this simply means "be more aggresive", or in other words, "lower the chance of succesful steal"--never except for my pinch-runner. I figure that, if my pinch-runner is in use, it'S probably because I'm losing by one run, so I need to be more aggressive there.
MARCPELLETIER

Next

Return to Strategy