Range/ Errors

Range/ Errors

Postby chase1918 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:21 am

I played the board game growing up so I know what what happens when you role an X, a, b, and c. BUT how does someone with SS 25 make more errors than someone with SS 10. Is it on gb ss a, b or c?

My main question is putting Julio Lugo at SS suicide???
chase1918

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:33 am

The meaning of errors is quite simple: e25 means that the player (if he roughly plays 144 games, more or less a complete year with some injuries) will make 25 errors during the season (this holds for any position except pitchers and catchers).
MARCPELLETIER

Postby blueiguana » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:19 pm

I believe that errors all come off GBX chances. If you have a GBA, B, or C on a card, it isn't affected by fielding rating. When an x chance comes up, it could result in a hit (if the fielder is rated 2-5), or it could result in an error (the higher the error rating, the greater the chance). If there isn't a hit or error, there will be an out of some sort (and, I think, a better fielding rating gives a better chance of a better out, like GBA than a B or C).

Catchers can make throwing errors on steal chances as well as errors on the X chart.

At least that is how it was when I used to play the board game.
blueiguana

Postby chase1918 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:03 pm

If this is the case and errors are only made on X, why are some guys
2 E 25 and some 2 E 10. They both play the same amount but one guy has 25 the other has 10 but they are BOTH a 2?????

The game must revert back to the amount of E's on the guy's card at some point pont. I totally understand the range part.
chase1918

Postby cummings2 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:04 pm

If my numbers are right (big [i:3d84560381]IF[/i:3d84560381]) Everytime the SSx comes up with Lugo playing SS he has:

30% chance of making a great play.
20% chance of allowing the hit to go through.
12.7% chances of making an error (could be a * error, could be a **)
the rest 37.3% chances of making an out, the way blueiguana mentioned it.

Is is suicide? well, depends on your park, the rest of your defense, the makup of your pitching staff as well as the running nature of the opposing teams. If you'll play a bunch of teams with good runners chances are you'll have to hold them if they get on base, in which case, vs. certain hitters your 3e25 SS becomes a 4e25.
cummings2

Postby cummings2 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:12 pm

You posted while I was writing my previous post.

I don't know if I understand the question.

Everytime the X comes up, the zone ratings are fixed (i.e. the % of hits allowed, the % of great play) but the error rating is variable depending on the player's card reading that is where the game refers to the error rating. So, as luckyman wrote up above, it is supposed that over the course of a season that percentage of errors would yield the total number of errors the player would make.

For example an 3B e23, regardless of zone has a fixed chance of making an error of around 27.4.1% every 3Bx that comes up. By comparison a 3B e8 has around 9.4%.

Hope this made sense
cummings2

Postby chase1918 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:03 pm

You have both answered my question, now i get it.....i am TOAST with my opening 06 team. Over drafted on pitching and got more holes then swish cheese on offense and defense.
chase1918

Postby tersignf » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:39 pm

regarding the errors, the first check is for the range rating table, then you move over to the error table and the row of results is determined by the error rating; lower the e rating, the better chance for a positive defensive outcome. And the tables are weighted such that an error in the infield is usually for less TB than an error in the OF.

So the 2e10 and 2e25 are referring to different rows when on the error table.
tersignf

Postby zonachoke » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:51 am

Marcus Wilby wrote:
[size=9:189bbbddc3]The meaning of errors is quite simple: e25 means that the player (if he roughly plays 144 games, more or less a complete year with some injuries) will make 25 errors during the season (this holds for any position except pitchers and catchers).[/size:189bbbddc3]

Actually... the "e" rating is indicative of how many errors a player would make if they spent every inning of every game at the defensive position in question.

For instance: Miguel Tejada played all 1450+ innings (162 games * 9 innings {plus extra innings minus games in which you're only on defense 8 innings}) at SS in 2005 and made 23 errors. So, SOM made him an e23

Craig Counsell is an e10 at 2b because he made less than 10 errors at 2b, but played less than 162 games at 2b (for instance, he might have played 725 innings (about 81 games) at 2b and committed 5 errors).

Pitchers often have very high "e" ratings because making 2 errors when you pitch 70 innings per year would translate to about an e41 (based on a 1450-inning year)
zonachoke

Postby RAYMONDSTRAWN » Wed May 10, 2006 5:20 pm

In the old strato board days, the errors were included on the range rating results card, you picked a split from 1-20 and got your entire fielding results. This is still true in the basic strato game. But now we have super advanced fielding ratings. You roll a 20 sided dice for hits on the range card, a SS-3 gives up single two base on roll of 1 and 2 and a one base single on roll of 3 and 4. Then you roll six sided dice (3 of them) and look under the error rating for that position to see if an error occurred and how many bases for that error.

Pretty simple, huh. But there is another wrinkle at shortstop (all infielders actually, but I will address shortstop only). If a left handed batter is up AND there is a runner held on first then Lugo becomes a 4 at short (called the runner held effect) and actually gives up more singles than a normal 4 at short in this circumstance (called the # effect- which turns lower rolled out into singles for runners held). The pounds are added to range rating result card.

And then there was the day of the extaordinary play roll...ah but that is another story.

Say what you want about Lugo, he is top 5 SS, offense and over 600 plate appearances. Last night, for first time I was able to get him, and I am REAL happy for it. Great stealer too, making the other guys IF suffer rating penalties when HE gets on base and is held. He will be held.
RAYMONDSTRAWN

Return to Strategy