Please advise on settings

Please advise on settings

Postby BruceF » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:46 am

Here is my problem. I have a good base stealing team at Forbes 57. I set my team base stealing to normal, but I change individual settings to where only those individuals who can succeed +70% will steal. However, i leave these individual settings at normal, not more, as i do not want to risk them caught stealing 3rd. Then, I get into the 14th inning in a tie game with runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs, and my runners gets caught stealing 3rd. This frustrates me and makes me want to tweak back to team conservative stealing. Should I leave at normal and allow more caught stealing 3rd? Or, should i change to conservative, but lose more stealing 2nd opportunities with 70%+ stealers?

Also, what tips can someone provide on other settings.
BruceF

Postby apolivka » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:30 pm

You probably want to look at the context of that steal before making any changes. Late in a 14 inning game, the other guy might have had a +5 hold relief pitcher in the game or something, making that steal of 3rd a really good "bet".

1st and 2nd with nobody out, a good odds double steal is often a smart tactical move in that it takes out the double play for the next two batters and leaves a RISP with two tries to get it home even if the steal is unsuccessful. Based on your park, you are playing ATG. How many gbAs did the next two guys have? My guess it quite a few. :)

A "straight" steal (i.e only a runner on 2nd), is a much more aggressive play and might warn me that my settings were more aggressive than I thought. But this one, I'm not so sure it would...
apolivka

Postby padrenurgle1 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:41 pm

I have always had bad luck with the "aggressive" setting but generally good alternating between "normal" and "conservative" depending on the starters' hold settings. I do this with all my teams.

I usually put all AA, A and B guys on "steal more" and D and E guys on "don't steal." With Cs, or Es like David Ortiz who go like 1-1 on a season, I leave them on no setting, and usually find that a few times during the season the Big Oaf will steal a base without getting caught.

Some guys with high steal ratings have to be reigned in if they have a lot of CSs though, you need to look at those numbers.
padrenurgle1

Postby tcochran » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:39 am

I usually have teams that steal bases pretty well, typically in top 3 in each league. I'm generally aggressive in the settings and still have success 70-75% of the time.

All AAA-A-B stealers, I set for "steal more." All D-E stealers, I set for "don't steal."

Each night I look at the other team's C arms and the SP hold ratings and adjust the manager strategy accordingly. I usually stay at either "normal" or "aggressive" unless the other guys have a -4 or -5 catcher, when I'll slow down a notch; or a +5 or more pitcher (or two), when I'll consider going to "very aggressive" (rare).

Similarly, I'll also look at the OF arms and adjust the base running setting, too.
tcochran

Return to Strategy