A.Bailey

A.Bailey

Postby iarzwashere » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:53 pm

The most expensive RP ... is he worth it? I'm thinking of doing Bailey & Soria as a 1-2 punch in the bullpen. Any advice, thoughts, opinions? :?: :shock:
iarzwashere

Postby toronto50 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:16 pm

i start a new league monday with that tandem as well in citizens
toronto50

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:03 pm

It seems to me that the investment is worth if you can give at least Bailey 150 IP and Soria 120 IP, of useful innings, which means calling Bailey early in many games so to leave Soria with save opportunities. Calling Bailey early implies giving an early exit to your starters, which makes sense only if you spend little money on your starters.

If your rotation is solid, then I would spend my money on extra offense and give Bailey the full set-up/closer role
MARCPELLETIER

Postby apolivka » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:08 pm

As for Adams' worth, I think it really depends on the team. He has zero BPHRs and BPSIs, so he'd be best in a hitter's park really. I think at such parks with average to below average starting pitchers you could put him in every relief role (except closer and mopup) and expect to get about 100-140 innings out him. (IMO, 150 would be possible, but rather tough in a hitter's park) Nearly seven million for that many innings is a ton, but if you are a good team, they could be really meaningful innings. I would never take him in a no-DH league as HAL will yank him too often.

Bailey or Vargas might be better options as they are R2 relievers so they would pitch many more innings.

On the other hand, take a look at a team like this:

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=262082

In the above bullpen, I got 110 innings, a 12-2-3 record and a 2.05 ERA out of an R1 righty, Nick Masset, for 3.21 million. I don't think Adams would have done significantly better. (But Oakland is not really an optimal park for Adams, I admit) So, I kind of think it really depends on the park and who you have as a closer. Most teams, however, I think there are better ways to spend the money. You'd almost have to build your staff around a _very_ expensive middle/setup guy. It can be done, but lot's of things have to fall into place on the rest of your team to make it worthwhile.
apolivka

Return to Strategy