Raw player rating formula for hitters and pitchers

Postby gbrookes » Mon May 17, 2010 1:06 pm

One more BTW - I have used the data in the ratings book to do the same simplified calcuations - at least I have done it for pitchers so far.

I put in some of my own data entry in the top of the spreadsheet, for data like Ballpark homerun split chances. Since the spreadsheet for player rating has a column for ballpark homerun die roll chances, you can use this data in an automated calculation way.

I used this (so far) to run totals for my rating system for pitchers, from the ratings book spreadsheet, and USING the ratings book spread sheet. It was a useful tool to quickly run numbers on pitchers, using an automated excel spreadsheet.

The main problem I ran into was that there was a non-numeric character in some of the BP home run fields - an asterisk. I am not sure why it was there, but I just had to re-key the same numeric value for ballpark home runs for those players where the * appeared, to make excel recognize it as a numeric value, so that my formulas worked.

Good luck! Sometime I'll finish my work on my conversion of the ratings book, and I'll try to find a way to post a link for it. That might be a few months away.

Cheers again!

Geoff
gbrookes

Postby DALTONPARK » Tue May 18, 2010 11:25 am

Thanks Geoff I like your qiuck way for evalualting players. I really only use the ratings for drafting. It works for finding the best hitter available. I usually use the numbers for hitting and pitching . With my years of playing strat as a kid I have a good feel for the defensive values. Its nice to see exact numbers though. It helps fine tune player values in a given set of cards. What platoon players work best ect. Will look forward to your ratings post in the future.

Thanks
DALTONPARK

Previous

Return to Strategy