Need ranking advice for autodraft

Need ranking advice for autodraft

Postby mlwalker59 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:15 pm

I'm a long time SOM player but "newbie" to SOM online. I'm not sure what type of league to join but leaning toward a $200 million salary cap league.

I've read the newbie thread on the strategy post which is quite helpful. But I didn't see any "strategy talk" concerning ranking players prior to the autodraft. I understand how the draft works, but is there a particular strategy for getting best players?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
mlwalker59

Postby JOSEPHKENDALL » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:18 pm

I personally keep track of where I draft players for each specific salary cap. I then look to see who I missed. If I really need a specific player, then I move that one up if I missed them previously. The one thing I have found is once you think you have the draft just the way you want someone will come along and draft someone higher and mess it all up for you.

I have found though that I can draft certain players at certain points and always get them. I have done this through trial and error. There is no sure fire way or mathematical equation that will tell you how to draft.

I personally also stick some players at the end of my draft as backups for players I have drafted higher. If I miss the top player at the position, I hope to pick up an adequate replacement at the end of my draft card. You can usually draft the 7-8M hitters lower and the 8-9M pitchers lower and pick some up to replace what you wanted that you missed on your draft card.
JOSEPHKENDALL

Postby Ragnarokpc » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:13 pm

I would sort of advise against doing a $200mil league to start with. What tends to happen is it becomes impossible to find talented guys if someone isn't getting the job done, the talent pool just isn't deep enough, and this can even be true in an All Time Greats league where you would think there is a heck of a lot of talent/. perhaps in version 5 there is enough, but the default is probably a better starting point.

Most games are thin in certain areas, so try to prioritize those. SS is notoriously short on talent, especially is you want a guy who can defend as well as hit. Pitching is usually easier to come by, unless you're looking for a very top-flight staff, and a top-notch closer. I prefer to rank SS, 2B, CF, and usually C near the top, and the rest further down, unless there's one specific player I want. What league were you thinking of trying? I could tell you some of the hot commodities in the 80's game but not many other places.
Ragnarokpc

Postby mlwalker59 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:07 pm

Thanks for the tips from both of you. Not starting with a $200 mil league makes sense, so I may drop down to an $80.

I really would like to do a live draft, but those don't seem to be all that popular. I've played a great deal of Fantasy Baseball and I'm more familiar with a live draft format than a salary cap autopick format.

So if you know of any live draft opps where "newbies" are welcome, let me know, please. But so far Im not seeing any.

Btw - I'm looking at the ATGV or 2008.
mlwalker59

Postby JOSEPHKENDALL » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Usually on a Friday night there is a live draft. All are welcome.
JOSEPHKENDALL

Postby mlwalker59 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:36 pm

Thanks.

I did see that the league directory lists a 2008 live draft scheduled for this Friday night, but there are only two teams in the league right now. I assume this is the draft you're referring to, or is there another one scheduled I'm not seeing?
mlwalker59

Postby JOSEPHKENDALL » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:53 pm

It isn't listed, but normally sometime Thursday or Friday there is a live draft posted for Friday night at 9 or 10 Eastern Time. It is for the ATG V player set.
JOSEPHKENDALL

Postby mlwalker59 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Thanks a lot. I'll look for it.
mlwalker59

Postby Ragnarokpc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:26 pm

Best of luck to you!
Ragnarokpc

Return to Strategy