When is enough really enough?

When is enough really enough?

Postby magnotti » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:15 am

Just wondering how much day to day management all of you do. Changing the strategy settings, fine tuning relief settings, looking for good replacements in the free agent pool. Or do you just let your guys play and move on?

How many concurrent seasons do you typically have running?
magnotti

Postby keyzick » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:51 am

It all depends...

[b:10ec008c57]Strategy Settings[/b:10ec008c57] - generally don't change, UNLESS I'm going up against an opponent with a blatant weakness/strength (eg, a catcher with a +2 or worse arm, then I'll adjust to more agressive stealing; outfielders with weak arms, more aggressive baserunning, etc..).

This doesn't need to be checked every night, but rather checking the rosters of opponents at the start of the season, so that you when you see you'll be playing them, you know what to adjust. Of course, rosters can change though, so you have to keep an eye on the transactions wire, which you can quickly review when you check your daily scores.

[b:10ec008c57]Relief Settings[/b:10ec008c57] - can't vouch for anyone else, but once I get my pen set up in the Pitcher's Pref roles, I don't touch it. Newbies may find a need to tweak and adjust this more, until they're familiar with how the settings affect the relief corps.

[b:10ec008c57]Free Agent Pool[/b:10ec008c57] - generally just keep an eye on those daily transactions to see if anyone I may value gets dropped. However, add/dropping from the free agent pool is q quick way to deplete your team value due to the FA penalties.

[b:10ec008c57]Concurrent Seasons[/b:10ec008c57] - I'd say varies from 8-15 or so at any given time (yes, you can call me addict!)
keyzick

Postby magnotti » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:26 pm

Nice tips, thanks.

15 teams? I can't decide if your sick or brilliant. Good luck though.
magnotti

Postby durantjerry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:26 pm

I have a good 20 teams in five or six different games. If I only had one team, I would inspect all settings each night, including individual card settings. I think it could win you as many as 3-5 extra games a year.
durantjerry

Postby gutter huggers » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:56 am

It depends on the ballpark. I am doomed to have success in pitchers parks, where I have lots of basestealers. So I always have to change my running strategy, based on the outfield, and the catcher. It creates a home field advantage, but you'll lose in the playoffs, in you don't have the homefield. Good hitting, beats good pitching in this game.

It is easier to play in a hitter park, if you don't like changing settings. It is overrated, changing settings, Hal seems to do a very good job if you set it on normal.
gutter huggers

Postby PATRICKCASSIDY » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:18 pm

gutterhuggers - my experience sort of tracks with yours and I have done the same in terms of checking the settings for the running game for every series.

my kneejerk reaction is that hitting beats pitching here, but I don't think that's true as much as the hitting is relentless since there are so many hitters and so many teams with multiple 30 or even 40 or even 50 HR a year guys in parks with 1-18 chances for a BP HR - and the pitcher is still just 1 guy.

in other words, the pitcher's card is still only half of the rolls, and of those, I understand that about 30% (15% overall) are fielder chances.

but on the hitters side, of the 50% of the chances that land on the hitters cards, a lot more will be on cards of hitters with good or even very good cards.

and let's face it - managers select for it. HRs, RBIs, and BA are a little sexier to look at than ERA, or even Ks.
PATRICKCASSIDY

Free Agent pool . . .

Postby artie4121 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:25 am

keyzick noted:

[quote:368ae951a6]Free Agent Pool - generally just keep an eye on those daily transactions to see if anyone I may value gets dropped. However, add/dropping from the free agent pool is a quick way to deplete your team value due to the FA penalties.[/quote:368ae951a6]

I understand this in theory (a $75 million team SHOULD be weaker than an $80 million team), and I've noticed leagues where managers have depleted their team's value up to 20%. :shock:

But in practice, if I have a $6 mil. RHP in Yankee Stadium who is getting shelled, and I can pick up a $4.8 million lefty OR one or two $2 million lefties, for example, who can stop the bleeding and win games, that is $1.2 million penalty dollars well spent.

What I can't understand is managers I've seen who have depleted their team's value up to 20%. :shock: with seemingly random marginally effective roster moves, sometimes 8 or 10 at a time 10, 20 or 30 games into the season.

But to me, ONE or TWO strategic moves once the picture becomes more clear about 70 games in or so -- even with the 20% hit -- could mean the difference between "Championship and Chumpionship."
artie4121

Postby chasenally » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:25 am

I mostly never drop players during the season. I drafted them and I stay with them. That being said, the team I have now I just made a bunch of moves due to injuries and really bad planning. So far it has worked well. One thing I learned (I have read this before.) NEVER EVER NEVER start a 5-e27 at 2B. Watch the very aggressive base stealing setting. Hal will steal 2nd, 3rd and home if he can. Baserunning and stealing are about the only changes I make during the year. Mike
chasenally

Postby Valen » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:51 am

I like to tweak per game starters on most teams. Though I may have won more before I started doing this. But I get more enjoyment out of playing that way so ....

On changing other setting as you might feel approprite I think it depends a lot on your discipline. For example if you are going to switch stealing to aggressive against the +2 catcher it is important to remember to switch back after the series is over. Personally I tend to get too busy and forget to go back and adjust settings back. So most settings I set based on what I think that rosters base philosophy should be and then leave them alone.
Valen

Postby coyote303 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:32 am

I play two teams, a 70s and a 200x.

Lineups are what I will tweak the most depending on the starting pitcher.

With my current 2008 team, I make no changes against righties. Against lefties, I add zero, one, or two right-hand hitters to my lineup depending on the pitcher. Reverse lefty--no changes. Extreme lefty--two righties. In between--one righty.

It just depends on the team.
coyote303

Next

Return to Strategy