Other things I learned while playing with the CD-ROM

Postby GR8YEAR68 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:03 pm

marcus, tell me what would happen with this senario. I plan on using the Super Reliever Strategy(SRS) in this fashion. I have 3Finger Brown who is *9/5 and a group of lesser *SP, with the min. 3 RP only in the Pen. In the 1st series of the season, since I've no idea where the opp. ace will pitch, I have 3Finger set as my Middle/Set-up/Closer, the other RP 8th or later, and the other RP, tied/9th+. SP set @ quick hook. Lets say Brown wins one, saves another, so the next series I see a soft SP in the 2nd gm. I then set Brown as 2nd gm starter. He wins that one. So the 3rd series, I put him back in the Pen. He has 300+ innings, so he can't be injured, and even fatigued, he is still very tough. I'll have Brown set @ "F0", rather than SlowHook. My attempt here is to get him in 125+ gms and wish to have him beat Chesbro's 41 wins. With Brown this is more likely than with a RP like Wilhelm. Its something I'm trying for the 1st time with a present team. Let me know what you think of this working and any pitfalls I'm not considering.
GR8YEAR68

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Mick,

My understanding of your situation, 3FB could pitch a maximum of 81 games without being fatigued, with 27 starts. But perhaps, with your restrictions on other relievers, HAL will force 3FB to pitch in relief despite the obligatory rest days after a start, but even so, he'll become F0 quite rapidly. But you should try.

game 4 3FB starts a game
game 5 3FB rests, unless HAL calls for him because of restrictions on other relievers
game 6 3FB rests (in which case, 3FB will fast become F0)
game 7 3FB rests
game 8 3FB will pitch in relief
game 9 3FB will pitch in relief
game 10 : return to game 4
MARCPELLETIER

Postby GR8YEAR68 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:37 am

My attempt here is to maximize 3FB to win 42+ games. As far as his RP and spot starts will depend on how kind HAL is and how supportive the offense is. If things go south, the whole team might have a hard time winning 42 gms. Alot of this is subject to what HAL will allow.Some one posted that they used Babe Adams in the SR roll and got 416 innings from him. So it can be done, I'll just have to keep with it everyday. And though Adams card is nastier than Brown's, Adams pitched 130 innings, and can go down for 15, Brown can only be fatigued. The other difference between Adams and Brown is as a starter Adams needs 4 days rest, Brown only 3, which gives me much more latitude. I've used Wilhelm in this roll, and he comes away with 2 wins in a particular series then next one or two maybe a save, with the option of spot starts, i can keep a steady flow of wins, yes, only in theory. Others have gotten 34/35 wins using Wilhelm, my attempt was good for a 27-18 mark. He would have had a 30 win season for me had the team behind him been any good. I've got a much better team together, 1's up the middle, playing in Comiskey '11, to help my RH bats, and greatly limit any LHH. Have -5 arms in CF/RF, all my pitchers have a minus hold to aid my catchers, who have -1/2 arms and LOW "T" ratings. I've done my homework. Now to get through waviers and to Monday evening. Thanks for your thoughts, JB
GR8YEAR68

Postby ratioman2 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:54 pm

Yes, great discussion.

To quote this part again:

"HOLDING
Forget about what I said in the past, about the importance of leading off with a *-runner. In fact, HAL holds pretty much everybody who have at least a D steal rating.

To keep it simple, everybody is being held EXCEPT runners with ratings such as 2/- 20-6 (chances to get the lead too low), 7/- (3-1) (chances to be safe too low), or 4,5/8,9,11 (13-2) (chances of getting out too high). A few more players will be held or not depending of the situation (say Mauer, who has a E rating 3/- (13-5). But pretty much everybody else is held."

Does HAL hold runners on second base? I see quite a few steals of third base that I don't like.
ratioman2

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:15 pm

[quote:bfe01d051a]Does HAL hold runners on second base? I see quite a few steals of third base that I don't like. [/quote:bfe01d051a]

Yes, as long as the second number gets over 12, and as long as there is a reasonable chance to get the lead, something around 20%. So very roughly speaking, Hal holds at second base almost automatically the AA stealers, many A stealers, and some B stealers, depending upon the holding combo of the catcher and the pitcher.
MARCPELLETIER

Postby ratioman2 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:35 am

Thanks! These are great posts by you.
ratioman2

Re: Other things I learned while playing with the CD-ROM

Postby PotKettleBlack » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:49 am

[quote:160e999b93="marcus wilby"]BUNT FOR A HIT
The "Bunt for a Hit" rule, which TSN uses, allows much more successful bunts than I thought initially. That rule depends on the speed ability of the bunter, so the ideal bunter is a A-bunter 1-17 speed.

In fact, one guy I found on a website who simmed an entire season with J.Ellsbury using extensively the Bunt-for-hit rule. When forcing defense to play back, Ellsbury on-base was over .400. With defense playing corning in, which decreases Ellsbury bunting ability to B, on-base was still at .336.

Fortunately, HAL draws the corners in for all speedy A or B bunters. Still, this move means that some outs to third and first basemen become singles. The advantage is not much (.005, so that a .310 hitter becomes a .315 hitter), but you might still consider it when making your lineup.

[b:160e999b93]How does it change my strategy?[/b:160e999b93] All things being equal, A-bunters 1-17 will have increased on-base when leading off. Also consider the "bunt a lot" option for cheap under 1M speedsters, in order to increase their on-base.[/quote:160e999b93]
In ATGV there are X guys who Cost $Y, Bunt A, and Speed 17:
2 guys at $.5 (Dave Nelson, Bill Cissell)
5 guys <$.6 (Sandy Alomar, Freddie Patek, Sex Sax)
8 guys <$.7 (Lance Johnson, Frank Taveras, Jim Busby)
13 guys <$.8 (Bill Russell, Bowa, Campaneris, Rod Scott, Alan Wiggins)
15 guys <$.9 (Ozzie Guillen, Mickey Rivers)
17 guys <$1.0 (Jerry Remy, Omar Moreno)
Couple other interesting guys:
Bingo Demoss ($1.17, 2b-1e20, 17-14 steal)
Harold Reynolds (1.74, 2b-1e23, 19-13 steal, +3 clutch, B HnR)

I am not sure how this would work in ATG, but if you're playing in a 60M league, I'm thinking Omar Moreno $.98 CF-1e5(0) (18-16 steal) and Ozzie Guillen $.86 ss-1e23) work as a leadoff and 9 hole hitters and leave >58M for the rest of the team.

Interesting.
An interesting control to add would be for someone like Wiggins, who can actually hit LHP to a point where I wouldn't want him bunting, but is a moderate disaster against RHP, so I could suggest he bunt and H&R against RHP aggressively, and swing normal versus LHP.
[/list]
PotKettleBlack

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:23 am

Actually, the part you referred to in your quote should be amended, because TSN made it clear since that we have control ONLY for sacrifice bunts, and that only the computer has control over the bunt-to-hit.
MARCPELLETIER

Postby PotKettleBlack » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:58 am

[quote:e4a108d95c="marcus wilby"]Actually, the part you referred to in your quote should be amended, because TSN made it clear since that we have control ONLY for sacrifice bunts, and that only the computer has control over the bunt-to-hit.[/quote:e4a108d95c]
Since I am allergic to trying to win by one run, the sac bunt is out for anyone but the most inept of batters (though some of those guys might qualify).

*sigh*
Would like to have more control, but I am guessing that's really up to SOM rather than TSN.

Back to trying to find that needle in this damn haystack.
PotKettleBlack

Postby PotKettleBlack » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:26 am

[quote:becbb0d509="theMICK64"]My attempt here is to maximize 3FB to win 42+ games. As far as his RP and spot starts will depend on how kind HAL is and how supportive the offense is. If things go south, the whole team might have a hard time winning 42 gms. Alot of this is subject to what HAL will allow.Some one posted that they used Babe Adams in the SR roll and got 416 innings from him. So it can be done, I'll just have to keep with it everyday. And though Adams card is nastier than Brown's, Adams pitched 130 innings, and can go down for 15, Brown can only be fatigued. The other difference between Adams and Brown is as a starter Adams needs 4 days rest, Brown only 3, which gives me much more latitude. [/quote:becbb0d509]
As detailed in the other thread, I think Adams is better suited to this [b:becbb0d509]because[/b:becbb0d509] he is no-starred.

Consider:
[quote:becbb0d509]game 4 3FB starts a game
game 5 3FB rests, unless HAL calls for him because of restrictions on other relievers
game 6 3FB rests (in which case, 3FB will fast become F0)
game 7 3FB rests
game 8 3FB will pitch in relief
game 9 3FB will pitch in relief
game 10 : return to game 4 [/quote:becbb0d509]
Adams can do this the same way 3FB can, because it's 5 games between starts.

Additionally, Adams, as a no-star, is expected, under a normal use pattern, to make 32-33 starts (vs. 3FB making 40-41). Since you are underusing the starts in either pattern (need to carry 4-6 SP to make the one guy work as a SuperRP/Spot Starter).

Consider, as an alternative:
Adams (9.11), Russo (7.91), Ehmke (5.4), Barker (4.62), Darwin (3.65)...
You now have Adams to use as a regular starter/super reliever, and with proper arrangement, Russo to use the same way.

Same pattern as above, only Russo is offset against Adams by two games. Thus, you are never without a Super R. Tom Hall might work more cost effectively than Russo, but only has the R4.

Something to chew on.
PotKettleBlack

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy