Other things I learned while playing with the CD-ROM

Postby GR8YEAR68 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:06 pm

Good thoughts there POT. It will take more than one league/attempt to get it right, at present 3FB isn't going as planned. Absolutely NO run support has cost him to many gms. And in another league, I have Wilhelm, and he isn't getting enough innings. Wonder if some type of adjustment by TSN to stop the SuperReliver from working ???
None the less, there are plenty of options for one to try!! If there where a records book any longer, might have tried to break the Complete Gms mark. The whole thing with TSN is nothing short of discouraging, and I will miss not playing on-line any more, but WILL enjoy the board game. Thanks for your thoughts, POT. :( :?
GR8YEAR68

Postby KURTTHOMPSON » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:02 am

Mick

Any chance of posting a link to your team? I would like to see
the super reliever strategy in action. Thanks much!
KURTTHOMPSON

Postby PotKettleBlack » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:16 am

[quote:75354bb5d4="PotKettleBlack"]
Consider:
[quote:75354bb5d4]game 4 3FB starts a game
game 5 3FB rests, unless HAL calls for him because of restrictions on other relievers
game 6 3FB rests (in which case, 3FB will fast become F0)
game 7 3FB rests
game 8 3FB will pitch in relief
game 9 3FB will pitch in relief
game 10 : return to game 4 [/quote:75354bb5d4]

Consider, as an alternative:
Adams (9.11), Russo (7.91), Ehmke (5.4), Barker (4.62), Darwin (3.65)...
You now have Adams to use as a regular starter/super reliever, and with proper arrangement, Russo to use the same way.

Same pattern as above, only Russo is offset against Adams by two games. Thus, you are never without a Super R. Tom Hall might work more cost effectively than Russo, but only has the R4.

Something to chew on.[/quote:75354bb5d4]
Consider, for a 140 League:
Walsh*, Adams, Slim Jones, and really, whatever makes you happy for the remaining 3-4 guys.
Adams starts every 5th game, with 2 days rest and 2 days of ace relief.
Jones starts every 5th game, with 2 pitchers between him and Adams in the rotation.
Walsh is your every 4 day guy. Of everyone in strat, no one gets more IP on average than Walsh. Walsh gets bumped a game for Adams, subject to matchups (but Adams is consistently better in a one off start). Walsh also gets bumped for Jones.
Everyone else gets bumped for Walsh.

Will have to spreadsheet this, but wanted to commit it to paper...
PotKettleBlack

Postby GR8YEAR68 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:34 am

Here are your requested links, ktgolfnut..
http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=284699
http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=286312
The 1st one just finished and are headed to the 1st round of play-offs. Super R worked well here, though not as I had wished.
2nd team was the 3Finger experiment, and wasn't working. He now is a SP and if HAL lets him RP, thats fine.
The combo of Adams/Jones is a gr8 idea and MAY work. But if you DON'T have enough offense to support them... Thats what happened with 3Finger, he didn't get the innings, the team is on the bottom of the RS list and other RP are getting to many innings.
In any leagues with greater than 100MIL, your chances of Super RP working is hampered by the endless All-Star batting orders. Thats why Rossy Ryan/Wilhelm won 34/35 gms in 60 MIL leagues, then Wilhelm set the recordable record of 35 Wins in 80Mil. Watching and being victumized by both Ryan/Wilhelm in different leagues, I was more interested in their teams box scores than my own. I will try it again, and experiment with a combo rather than just Wilhelm.

Though the Adams/Jones combo is a bit pricey, I'm working on a good combo of my own, for the 80/60 format. Will up-date for those who are interested. POT please keep us up-dated on your future attempts.
GR8YEAR68

Postby JOSEPHKENDALL » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Any updates on the Super Reliever Strategy?
JOSEPHKENDALL

Postby ratioman2 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm also very interested in when HAL rolls for a safe lead, and how the settings modify that. I'm really puzzled at why HAL steals sometimes and not others. We know when HAL steals, but that doesn't tell us when HAL wanted to steal and just didn't roll for a safe lead (in which case he must steal). Does the CD tell you?

Is the threshold some number - ie, with an aggressive setting, as long as the first number would be a let's say 12 (after taking into account hold and arm ratings) then HAL always sees if he has a safe lead?

Thanks!
ratioman2

Previous

Return to Strategy