Exploiting Manager Profiles in the Playoffs

Exploiting Manager Profiles in the Playoffs

Postby Outta Leftfield » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:08 pm

I'm about to start a playoff semifinal (in Back to the 80s) against a tough opponent (99 wins). I read somewhere on the Strategy page about using Manager Profiles to get an edge against your opponent--and specifically about managers who use a lot of intentional walks. But I can't remember the specifics of the advice.

My opponent issued 85 IBB--by far the most in the league. (I only issued 3, so I obviously have a contrasting approach.) Is there a way to take advantage of this tendency to use the IBB? I seem to recall something about setting hitters with high clutch factors in front of good hitters without the clutch ratings. Then the opposing pitcher will walk the clutch guy and my good following hitter can knock him in. Is that the right idea? Should I also perhaps alternate righties and lefties to tempt the opposing pitchers to IBB guys to get the platoon advantage?

If this could lead to one 3-run HR it might just turn a short series, so any advice will be welcome. I'd also welcome any further advice on exploiting manager profiles. My opponent makes moderate use of the bunt and H & R. He steals a lot, but with only moderate success (170-80). Both of my catchers have -2 arms. He has a good offense--he's first in the leaguein runs scored and I'm second, but my pitching is better.

Any thoughts?
Outta Leftfield

Postby durantjerry » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:33 pm

I have seen posts claiming that intentional walks are related to clutch rating, so your point about the clutch seems like it could be correct. Alternating R and L may invite more intentional walks, but there is no telling if this will help or hurt you IMO. This is not something that would make me change what was successful for me all year, but if there was a slight adjustment I could make based on this information I might try it in a specific park or circumstance.
durantjerry

Postby Outta Leftfield » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:17 pm

You're probably right. This team won 105 games, so why mess with success? :D
Outta Leftfield

Return to Strategy