1st Time Player Struggling

1st Time Player Struggling

Postby jmccully61 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:19 am

I am currently in two leagues. The first one, I am not doing too bad in, I will listen to advice given for the 2nd team, and apply it to the 1st team.

I am in the ATG4 League with the best of the best, and getting my but handed to me. Now I know I made mistakes by taking 20% penatly on certain players, mostly pitchers. For example, Nolan Ryan had an ERA of over 8.00 after 5 games. I released him because i could not afford to get oo far behind.

Here was my strategy.

1. I chose Comiskey '78 L/R 1-12 and L/R 1-7 because I wanted a team that could hit singles, and pop a HR with one or two power hitters.

2. First, when I looked at players, I cared about defense.

3. Next I looked for 2 players with great stealing base ability, 1 my leadoff hitter, and either my 2 or 3 hitter (Raines moves between the two spots). Then, I focused on 2 power hitters, one for cleanup, and another for the 6 spot. Finally, I focused on 2 players that could hit for AVG, Puckett and Rose. I chose Bowa for his D, and my catcher, Crandel for his arm -5.

4. My pitching staff is getting rocked, and I only have 2 members from the orginal staff (Yes, I know avoid 20% penatly), however they are always getting rocked. I know I made a mistake with 3 Lefties, but when I started I had 1 Lefty.

Finally, I know my pitching staff is a mess because I have been messing around with it over the last few weeks, and this is only the 1st event of 8, so I was trying to figure things out knowing part 1 was a lost cause.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated

Honestly, I am thinking about spending a lot of money on 8 position players (no DH), maybe a few million on a solid backup, but how do I spend money on pitching?

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team.htmlhttp://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team.html

Thanks

joe
jmccully61

Postby Valen » Fri May 29, 2009 2:37 pm

Your link is bad. Go to the league statistics page and click on your team.
Paste that link.
Valen

Postby jmccully61 » Fri May 29, 2009 7:07 pm

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=198780

Ok this should work
jmccully61

Postby Valen » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:31 am

Instinctive response too much money on the bench. Ray Boone only 43 AB at 2.67 mil. Only 5 for Gruber's 1.85 mil. Paying 2.37 mil to get 51 AB from George Bell. And 1.43 mil for 20 AB from Jimmie Hall.

That is a total of 5 to 7 mil you are throwing away. That would be enough to convert one of your rotation to an ace type or add a star hitter to your lineup.

Benches are not as important in strat as in real life because you know in advance who is injury prone and cards never need rest.
Valen

Postby RICHARDMILTER » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:30 am

I used to be the guy who loved the expensive backups, but Valen is right,....unless you have an injury prone player your backups should be less than 1 million(and for the most part closer to 500,000). This allows you to maximize your alloted salary dollars. It is one of the ,"Money Ball" principles. Learn from this league, and do better in the next one. Good luck!
RICHARDMILTER

Return to Strategy