double switch

double switch

Postby stlouisnathan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm tired of seeing the double switch misused in this game. Often a pinch hitter, who hits for the pitcher, is left in the game and replaces a player at the top of the order. This makes no baseball sense. The only reason a manger would do something like this is if he was planning on using that player as a defensive replacement anyway. But usually what I get is a weaker hitter and a defensive liability being inserted into the game. And it only gains a spot or two in the order to save a pitcher. A double swith should be employed when a pitcher is replaced during an inning in the field when the pitcher's spot is due up when the team bats. That is done so that the pitcher's spot won't come up and more innings can be gained from the reliever, i.e. you don't have to let him hit or pinch hit for him. A position player is replaced at the same time as the pitcher. He should be one who just batted the last inning. That way the rep[lacement player can be inserted in the pitcher's spot in the order and the new pitcher will hit in the position formerly occupied by the position player. Whoever set this up in this game must have been an American Leaguer, because they clearly didn't understand the double switch. Sorry, I just had to vent.
stlouisnathan

Return to Strategy