T-Rating Questions

T-Rating Questions

Postby fredpaii » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:21 am

When exactly does a Catcher's T-Rating come into play?

What does a t-rating do? [b:a284e33b99]Can a t-rating alter a stolen base attempt's result[/b:a284e33b99] (I'm assuming a stolen base attempt and result happens without aid of the t-rating...correct?), no matter the actual t-rating?

What exact precipitating circumstances must prevail for it to affect play?

Can a stolen base attempt happen without any reference at all to the catcher's t-rating? If so, then why...and how? And what exactly makes a t-rating impact a stolen base attempt and what prevents it?

I've read that a catcher's t-rating only influences stolen base attempts 15% of the time? Is that true? I'm obviously not understanding this process. I'm asking about this t-rating because I'm thinking of employing a catcher with a t-20 rating. I want to know exactly how much that will affect stolen base attempts. I.E.- Will it make usual caught stealing situations into successful attempts? If so, how much?

Thank you for taking the time to read through this.
fredpaii

Postby Palmtana » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:34 am

I got this from http://rsbl.org/somrules.htm

[quote:0550fdc866]22.22 "T" Ratings: If the runner steals second or third base on a roll of 1, 2, or 3, roll the 20-sided die again. Refer to the catcher's card for his "T" number(s). If the second roll is within the "T" range, the catcher has committed a throwing error, allowing all baserunners to advance one additional base. If the second roll was outside the catcher's "T" range, no error occurs.[/quote:0550fdc866]

The T-rating has no affect on the stolen base attempt. The steal happens and then the T-rating kicks in if the steal occured on a 1, 2 or 3 roll. If you have a catcher with a T-rating of 20, 15% of steals (3/20) will result in an extra base being taken.
Palmtana

That's what I was looking for.

Postby fredpaii » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:47 am

I wanted to know how the t-rating affected sb's and you hit a homerun, Palmtana! At least I think you did. :D It sounds like a high t-rating could be okay if two things are present. One, the opponent you're playing has a slow lineup. And two, if the catcher has excellent offense to go with that high t-rating, it's doable. Am I right?

thank you
fredpaii

Postby LMBombers » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:14 am

.....or the combination of your catcher's arm and your pitcher's hold rating inhibits your opponent from even trying to steal a base.
LMBombers

Postby Palmtana » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:17 am

No problem. I almost felt like DeanTSC while writing the post.

Offense making up for defensive lapses is a rational that is often used. It seems a T-20 would have less of an impact in a hitter park. What's an extra run or two, right? And the slower the opponent the better. Who's the backstop?
Palmtana

Excellent points

Postby fredpaii » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:30 pm

LMB--Good point about the hold ratings. I usually forget about that. But I'll check my pitchers out. Good one.

Palm-- It's Eli Marrero from the 2002 season. He's the best hitting cacther remaining vs. righties. Also has decent speed.

Are you in this 2002 league that begins monday? They don't list the names of the owners (screen names or whatever) in this year.

Wow. Excellent responses.
fredpaii

Pretty good results for Marrero.

Postby fredpaii » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:20 am

He's listed at the bottom of my roster. He's out-homered Sammy Sosa as of the 15 game mark. :) Only one error so far and several SB's allowed. Also been a few CS's though. But compared to what he's done offensively for me, the error is not a big deal. And he's versatile. Grissom got hurt in my first game and Marrero filled in at Leftfield. Eli also has my only SB.

And as a pinch-hitter he came up big with a three-run HR to get me in a position to win the game.

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2002/league/boxscore.html?group_id=13700&g_id=61

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2002/team/team_other.html?user_id=44523
fredpaii

Which catcher is better???

Postby TexasKen » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:38 am

Defense: c-2(-1)e0,T-1(pb-5) or
Defense: c-2(-1)e1,T-5(pb-0)

Regards,
Ken
TexasKen

Re: Which catcher is better???

Postby voovits » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:43 am

[quote:6d3d64cbaf="TexasKen"]Defense: c-2(-1)e0,T-1(pb-5) or
Defense: c-2(-1)e1,T-5(pb-0)

Regards,
Ken[/quote:6d3d64cbaf]

I personally would rather have the second one. E0 to E1 is too insignificant to matter, and I'd much rather have a catcher who can not commit a passed ball over a guy with only a slightly larger chance of making a throwing error.

But it really comes down to preference. I don't think you could fault anyone choosing either one over the other.
voovits

Return to Strategy