HAL Base Running Strategy (An Oxymoron For Sure)

HAL Base Running Strategy (An Oxymoron For Sure)

Postby kenhutchings » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:14 pm

*** BOTTOM OF INNING 10 ***
SUBSTITUTE PH- Oscar Gamble
0 O.Gamble 3 Single b-1
0 1 J.Holt 3 Ground Out 1-2 b-0
1 2 D.Cash 2 Fly Out Double Play 2-o b-0

I have my base running set to aggressive. However, in a game that my team had yesterday, where I was losing by 3 runs going into the bottom of the tenth, HAL has Oscar Gamble (he gambled, no doubt about that!) try to advance from second to third after Dave Cash flys out, and as the play by play indicates, he was thrown out.

This isn't the first time a questionable base running advancement has occurred to me. I've had base runners thrown out at third base for the third out of the inning, violating what I understand is a cardinal rule in baseball (you don't make the third out at third base). In the instance above, I can't imagine, when down by three runs, why HAL would try to advance a runner to third and risk an out when not only that runner but at least two more would need to score. Is it because of the Aggressive Base Running setting? I would like my base runners to try to advance the extra base when the opportunity presents itself, but only when it makes sense. Unless Gamble was the tieing or tie breaking run, trying to advance the extra base didn't serve any purpose.

Rhetorical question: Am I expecting too much of HAL?

:x :x
kenhutchings

Postby apolivka » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:29 pm

I've noticed the same thing. It appears that "aggressive" mean "aggressive no matter what". I've seen the meaningless run get thrown out to end a game several times. Irked me too!

He also steals when you are up by 10 runs.
apolivka

Postby RICHARDMILTER » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:01 am

Could be some of the crazy, super advanced rules scenarios. Hit and run, or Super Advance fielding chart has some weird happenings.
RICHARDMILTER

Return to Strategy