H Ramirez/D Uggla double play combo?

H Ramirez/D Uggla double play combo?

Postby durantjerry » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:57 am

I guess it has to be done, so I will do it. I'm sure someone else has tried, but I haven't seen it for myself. Also little to no relief pitching to speak of in a slugging league(Rogers/Citizens(me)/Great Am/3 US Cell/Chase & Camden).

[url]http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=137528[/url]
durantjerry

Postby JKolak » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:55 pm

I still remember when DNeedle put together an Iron Gloves team in the 2001 game that featured players rated defensively 4 at each position and when a championship. It should be interesting to see how much the defense costs you since dice rolls and "x" rolls now appear in each game summary.
JKolak

Postby durantjerry » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:53 pm

I'll try to track the results. I remember the "Iron Glove"team also.
durantjerry

Postby Jerlins » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:08 pm

Russ Ortiz might win the Cy Young if he faces you enough. Will be fun to watch though. Good Luck!!
Jerlins

Postby durantjerry » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:30 pm

Yes, hitting choices were limited by getting the starters. I had all bombers and took A Ramirez to play third as he was the only bomber left that coulkd field. Still have a few R balanced RH hitters and some other good hitters in a bomber park, so I should hopefully hit even vs rhp's.
durantjerry

Postby apolivka » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:47 pm

Well, it looks like it didn't start out so well. One error each for both Uggla and Ramirez in the first series. But, hey, you outscored your opponents 14-11. :)

I've never tried to go an entire season with zero good relievers, so it will be interesting to see how this team goes. Should score a lot of runs...

I've seen quite a few "iron glove" teams (playing guys like Y.A., Ortiz, Braun, etc.) crash and burn, but that was usually when playing them at the corners 1b/3b/lf/rf and not up the middle. Usually those teams had pretty bad starting pitching, however. So, as I said, it will be interesting...
apolivka

Postby Jerlins » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:50 am

So far so good DJ. Team is performing well, and you're crushing LH's.
Jerlins

Postby apolivka » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:05 am

I hadn't checked this team in a while. HanRam is hitting almost 400! The pen is getting hammered. I would still probably try to get rid of Vazquez, who is very unsuited for Citizen's , and pick up a little relief help.

I do see that Vazquez is 10-6, however. I wonder what his run support has been? His ERA is almost six.

You can't argue with success, and the team is 43-32. So, I wouldn't listen to me... :)
apolivka

Postby durantjerry » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:27 am

Well, Grilli and Wickman are OK. Sub-5.00 with 9 for 11 saves in Citizens with HanRam and Uggla up the middle could be considered good. Thought I had a hidden gem with Clay Condrey, but I guess that's why I had vever heard of him. Maybe this weekend I'll try to track the runs lost to defense.
durantjerry

Postby apolivka » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:13 pm

Well, it looks like you _almost_ made it. Ended up at .500 just 3 games out of the playoffs. Hanley had an unbelievable year for you and Uggla knocked out 31. HanRam even appears to have had a good year in the field with only 19 errors!

Looks like quit a few of your players really underperformed in OBA. Would have been nice to have a few more guys on base for those 276 dingers. So, it looks like you were a bit unlucky there.

I think you might have had (a tiny bit) more success with a stronger pen. With bad D in a bomber park the pen will see a lot of innings regardless of how good your starters are.
apolivka

Next

Return to Strategy