Specifying a Pinch Runner

Specifying a Pinch Runner

Postby Coffeeholic » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:29 am

Does anyone have any concrete evidence that by specifying a Pinch Runner in your Manager Settings (as opposed to not specifying one) that this will increase /decrease/remain the same the amount that a pinch runner will be used?
Coffeeholic

Re: Specifying a Pinch Runner

Postby PotKettleBlack » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:18 am

[quote:bec1aff549="Coffeeholic"]Does anyone have any concrete evidence that by specifying a Pinch Runner in your Manager Settings (as opposed to not specifying one) that this will increase /decrease/remain the same the amount that a pinch runner will be used?[/quote:bec1aff549]
Imagination suggests use frequency will be the same, but person used may be different. Probably not. If you have the roster space, you're gonna carry a Steve Sax type who costs $.50 and who runs at 17 or steals at AA with a speed up north of 15. Set him as the PR or don't, The Genius formerly known as HAL will probably use him anyway.
PotKettleBlack

Postby Coffeeholic » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:03 pm

See, I'm thinking just the opposite, that if a pinch runner is specified, then HAL will look to use him more often than if no runner is specified.

I was hoping that someone might have something concrete on usage?
Coffeeholic

Pinch Runner

Postby mjf309 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:38 am

I have no concrete evidence. However, I stopped specifying a pinch runner because my better hitters and fielders were being removed in extra inning games. After I stopped specifying a pinch runner, it seemed to stop happening.

Again, just my experience but I have not tested this in any way.
mjf309

Postby TomSiebert » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:08 am

I have seen many times a player who I thought should be the defensive replacement during an in-game injury get held back, then pinch run later. I think it plays into several different HAL (formerly HAL?) stratetgies over the course of the game. I also DO think -- merely from personal experience, no concrete evidence -- that your team will pinch run more with a designated pinch runner on manager strategy.

tws
TomSiebert

Return to Strategy