Round Tables.

Round Tables.

Postby cummings2 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:01 am

O.K. just a thought that I am throwing out there to see if it's a dud idea that's floating in my head right now (they usually are) or if maybe there's some interest:

One of the things that's been getting my goat (if only a little bit) is the seemingly increasing number of "Help my team" kind of threads. It doesn't upset me since I understand perfectly, being a newbie myself, how it is to have a real head scratcher for a team where nothing seems to make sense. I really think that the strat community is pretty cool and that the seasoned vets are great as they always offer help in a respectful and educated manner. However, little by little everyplayer does the same. It seems like some of the AD leagues are compilations of 12 managers trying to do the same thing in different ballparks and the one who wins is usually the one that has the most patience with his/her players.

I remember getting tons of really cool info in this forum (strategy) in the old forums, maybe in time this new version will hold the same ammount of knowledge to offer the young ones like myself, but sometimes I don't quite think it will since the old forums requiered a different log-in and I believe that that extra step used to filter a lot of "give me a quick fix" kind of posts and left room for some more interesting and fun stuff.

Sometimes I feel weird about some of the advise that is thrown in the boards, they come from players whose teams I've had in leagues of mine and sometimes I feel like saying "Hey, I wouldn't take advise from that manager if I were you, I've seen how he/she manages" but it's not really my place to say things like that, but, if there were some threads where some of the guys that know a bit more just throw out some thoughts on several subjects maybe, just maybe the young flesh would be better able to discern and think for him/herself.

So this is what I'm thinking of:

Why don't we start a series of threads call the Round Tables. Some dedicated to specific Ball Parks, some to different strategies (Stealing, Hit and Run, Spotting your starters, etc...) and some to Lineups. Not too many threads since it can get quite tiresome.

The idea behind them would be to try to get the new players, like myself, to think for their own before, during and after each team, so that we have different players trying different things. We wouldn't ask the pros to divulge their secrets, even if we asked them to, I'm sure they wouldn't do it, the only thing we'd ask is to put up a post in the thread with their thoughts about a stadium, or lineups or whatever is on the plate.

These are some of the round table topics I can come up with off the top of my head:

Hitter's Parks (Coors)
Pitcher's Parks (Petco)
Unbalanced Parks (Shea/Wrigley)
Makeup of Lineups
Usage of pitching Staff
The Running game

My feeling is that three or four players that know what they are talking about are enough, the first round everyone just posts their thoughts on the topic and from there on they get to throw jabs at each other at will just like in any other round table.

What do you think? dud idea? Any volunteers?

I'd sign myself in but since I don't know that much I volunteer myself as organizer and moderator, I would take it upon myself to start threads and contact people to chime in, etc.

Interest anyone?

Moderator/Organizer: Cummings2

If you volunteer to participate please sign in and what topic youd like to participate in:

Speaker/Honorable Guest 1:
Speaker/Honorable Guest 2:
Speaker/Honorable Guest 3:
Speaker/Honorable Guest 4:
Speaker/Honorable Guest 5:
Speaker/Honorable Guest 6:
Speaker/Honorable Guest 7:
Speaker/Honorable Guest 8:
Speaker/Honorable Guest 9:
Speaker/Honorable Guest 10:
Speaker/Honorable Guest 11:
Speaker/Honorable Guest 12:
Speaker/Honorable Guest 13:
Speaker/Honorable Guest 14:
Speaker/Honorable Guest 15:
Speaker/Honorable Guest 16:
cummings2

Postby JdEarly » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:05 am

I think this is a great idea, honestly. I've been seen on the boards several times asking for help with teams, and a lot of it is because I'm in a pinch where my "go to" guys have all been snatched up and I want to find out what other players the community has found to be productive.

I have been known to run away with a division at times, and at others it's a down to the wire brawl, and then there are the other times when my team has just kind of, you know, fallen out of the cannon instead of rocketing from start to finish. I don't feel I have enough to offer in a thread that would, ideally, be used by everyone, but I do think this is a really good idea.
JdEarly

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:43 am

Guys, X-mas is on our steps, the new season is coming fast. Some times in January, we should have the stadium ratings. So why not wait for about that period before doing such round tables.

Traditionally, march/april have always been the liviest time on the som-forums, and november/december the deadiest.
MARCPELLETIER

Postby J-Pav » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:48 am

I'm on vacation for most of the holidays and at the end of the day, once the kids are down, usually pretty bored. I'd be happy to chime in on just about any topic out there, if I think I can come up with something worthwhile to add.

Not sure I completely understand the format, but whatever it is, I'll go along for a bit.
J-Pav

Postby cummings2 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:41 pm

The format, well, I haven't thought it through that much, I have a general idea but nothing set in stone.

The way I see it the ammount of topics/round tables should be few otherwise we'll start having redundant and repetitive threads. Hopefully we'd get a group of players, (from ATG, 200x, doesn't matter really) to initially share their points of view about that topic. Those thoughts might come from specific teams they've ran or general ideas about the topic.

My feeling is that by the time the first round is over, that is by the time that all the "guests/speakers" have had their chance to share their initial thoughts there are bound to be some different views. We could then start the open "debate" where everyone chimes in at will or continue taking turn to speak until we complete 2 or 3 rounds.

The simpler and most accomodating to people's schedule would be the best.

I think you are absolutely right Luckyman, the timing would be better off until after the Holidays. I was thinking somewhere around late January early February so that we have sometime to do this and then when the new set comes out we can spend more time with the set. If however, you think it's best to wait until after the new set comes out and try to get this going around March/April then I'm just as much for it.

Thanks for chiming in so quickly guys!

And BTW JD, I have seen you ask for some input on your teams but I've also seen you hand out much more really good advise to others. In fact you helped me out tons in the old forums with a Safeco team I had (my second ever) It was actually your post re: my Safeco team that got me to understand and think a little about OBP, you didn't throw names at me or advised me to drop/pickup, you pointed out specific game concepts and how they were playing a role on my team. I think you'd be great to share opinions with JD.

I don't think it's bad that we ask for opinions, sometimes it's the opinions that we get that I think are a bit questionable ;) Sometimes, it's like the blind leading the blind. The reason why I mentioned this up above was not to belittle those threads nor the advise given. Most advise is sound and well intended but it's so team/stadium/league specific that they are mostly exercises in exchanging names, soon everybody is doing the same thing and nobody really knows what they are doing.

Just my opinion on that, I'm most likely wrong about that.
cummings2

Postby PJ Axelsson » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:13 pm

It's always nice to have a reference bible to refer to...and I mean that in the most redundant way!

:wink:
PJ Axelsson

Postby cummings2 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:22 pm

:D

Thanks for dropping by PJ. I'd try to come up with a clever redundant phrase to thank you and welcome you with but whenever I've tried to do so in the past I just sound very oxi-moronic :wink:

So far there seems to be a pretty good response to the idea. Hopefully some time after the new year we could start signing up, deciding on a few topics to debate and the general way we'll go about it.

Have a great time these holidays!
cummings2

Postby Play By The Rules » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:48 pm

I was asked by PT to report here. I also have a small amount of time off during the holidays, although I honestly think you'd be better off asking others to speak.
Play By The Rules

Postby cummings2 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:03 pm

Oh, Mr. PBTR, I've read several of your posts and I think you'd be a great addition to the 'Rounds'.

Thanks for checking us out. :D

Hope you have a great time during the holidays and that we can get some of your input next year if we manage to get these Rounds up and going.
cummings2

Next

Return to Strategy