I killed my team

I killed my team

Postby joeandbob2001 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:02 am

Started out 10-2, Was hitting everyone and everything, so I thought I would upgrade my pitching. Dumped Dunn for Unit. Then my team was killing lefties but losing to righties. Tried to improve my lineup vs Rhp.

Now I am regularly losing low scoring games. Have tried changing manager settings, tinkering with lineup. Everything I do seems to make things worse.

This is my 4th team and am looking for some advice on lineups and manager settings. Thinking about free agents but with 20% penalty thought I would try here first.

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=114934
joeandbob2001

Postby durantjerry » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:13 pm

It is rare to make changes when winning and even worse to do it twelve games in. Way too small a sample to draw any conclusions from. I would not recommend tinkering when winning big for beginners(or hardly anyone). Definately a rookie mistake to cut a major guy when you start 10-2. You may never be that good again to start and you tinkered with it? Whatever it was you were thinking was wrong. Just ride out your success and see where it leads is usually a good rule of thumb, then you can evaluate after maybe halfway through. Your pen is solid and stealing % is good. Not sure that settings can help. Your slugging is very low for your park(Dunn?) as your ERA is very good. Your record is still OK. I wouldn't be dipping into the FA pool for 20% unless there is something outstanding. If I were to do anything FA-wise it wouild involve the Unit as he has the $$$ to help and while he's doing well, he's not highly thought of for the price. Maybe Lorretta for 2B vs lefties instead of your guy.
durantjerry

Postby RICHARDMILTER » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:18 am

You still have a lot of ball to be played. You may go on another 10-2 run. Do not dump players. Your team looks alright to me. A lot of luck is involved. Learn from your mistakes this time, and use what you learned with the next team. Although do not give up on this team.......never give up. Good luck, and remember, have fun!
RICHARDMILTER

Postby joeandbob2001 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:22 pm

Thanks for the good advice.

After scuffling a bit to go 6 games under 500, we have gone 26-10 to be 10 over, 5 game lead in division and 1 game from best in league.
joeandbob2001

Postby RICHARDMILTER » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:38 pm

Nice work, it almost never pays to panic! Good luck.
RICHARDMILTER

Return to Strategy