Taking care with defense

Taking care with defense

Postby elpasopesos » Tue May 20, 2008 6:41 am

I had this experience in a recent game... HAL pulled my #1 catcher Molina for a pinch runner and in the ninth brought out my back up Estrada to catch then pulled him to slide in David Wright the 3rd basemen into catch, bringing in my back up at 3rd. Nothing went wrong, my closer mowed 'em down to preserve a 1-0 win. When trying to figure out what happened, I realized I had set Estrada's card to Remove for defensive sub because the series before he was the catcher against a batch of righties who killed the right. HAL took me literally; he brought in then promptly removed my back up catcher for Wright. It just goes to show you you need to check your settings every series.
elpasopesos

Postby RICHARDMILTER » Thu May 22, 2008 1:59 am

I have had similar problems/mistakes!!
RICHARDMILTER

Postby apolivka » Wed May 28, 2008 10:41 am

I have had similar problems as well, I don't think there is too much you can do other than just not have catchers that need defensive replacements. Then don't click on anything for that either on their cards or in your manager's strategy and HAL usually does much better. :)

Kind of off topic here, but when I'm picking catchers, I like to make sure that I don't pick a rubber arm catcher with a good range as my 2nd catcher, or HAL will make even more mistakes.

For example, if my #1 catcher is a 3(-1)e4, for example, and my backup is a 2(+1)e5, HAL will seem stick in the +1 arm guy in at inappropriate times and allow baserunners to steal late in a close game. So, I like to try and make sure my defense is roughly equal on both my catchers, particularly if I'm picking "cheapies" for my catchers.
apolivka

Postby geekor » Wed May 28, 2008 11:42 am

Did you have Estrada's card set to remove for def sub?

If any person's card is checked with that, HAL will remove the player without seeing if there is a replacement for them. It is better to use the Def Sub portion of the manager settings.
geekor

Return to Strategy