Quick hook question

Quick hook question

Postby DAVIDSCHACKER » Sun May 04, 2008 10:50 am

Question from a rookie manager:

Suppose your pitcher is S6/R4. You want to give him a quick hook when he starts, but not when he relieves - what's the setting?

Thanks in advance for your tips.
DAVIDSCHACKER

Postby Coffeeholic » Tue May 06, 2008 8:25 am

Bud, I think what you'll have to do is:

1) Make sure this pitcher is [b:17e331246f]not[/b:17e331246f] in your "rotation" so that he will be brought in to relieve;

2) When you designate him as a "per game" starter, make sure to check his "quick hook" box;

3) When he is not designated as one of your "per game" starters, leave his "quick hook" box unchecked. You'll have to decide if you want to check his "slow hook" box or not.

You'll just have to monitor his usage from series to series and change the settings accordingly.
Coffeeholic

Postby artie4121 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:06 pm

I'm bumping this (I'm a newbie manager as well.)

You noted above:

[quote:c93c807005]) Make sure this pitcher is not in your "rotation" so that he will be brought in to relieve; [/quote:c93c807005]

Does this mean that if I have an S/R pitcher indicated in my rotation, he will NOT be brought in to relieve?

Does this hold over for my "per game" starters?

I have an S6/R3 pitcher going in my third game tonight, and I don't want him used as a reliever in games one and two. I have removed him from his roles in HAL Bullpen 2.0, but if I know that he will NOT be used in a series in which he is slated to be used as a starter, I would not jiggle the settings needlessly.

Thanks in advance.

Artie
artie4121

Postby voovits » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:16 pm

HAL always looks ahead at the per game starters when deciding who to use in relief. If he sees your guy is set to start 2 games down the road, he will not use him unless all the other relievers are unavailable.
He is, however, more likely to use him over a pure starter if the need to go that deep into the bullpen arises. If this is the case, there's really nothing you could do with your settings to stop that anyway.
voovits

Return to Strategy