What to do w/ your best reliever (in Strat '69)

What to do w/ your best reliever (in Strat '69)

Postby uncle ny » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:04 pm

There are no closers and lots of R3's. IF you've got a guy like Wilhelm or Tatum, would you rather they set up both ways or close both ways? I figure if I set one as closer, not to come in before the 8th, and set it for maximum use of closer, that'd be the best way to maximize his usefullness.

Agreed?
uncle ny

Postby cplake » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:33 pm

Actually no.....

Lots would disagree with me, but the way to maximize a closer is to set him up as BOTH setup and close...both ways unless he is extreme one way or the other (otherwise - setup only on strong side - closer both). Also, closer setting on NORMAL. If you maximize HAL will only bring him in if you have a lead AND it is a save situation. Any other setting and he will rarely pitch.
cplake

Postby worrierking » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:28 pm

100% in agreement with cpl. Setup and Closer both ways. Closer set to regular. If he logs too many innings, you might need to set him to "not before 7th Inning," but a lot of that depends on how your starters are. If you have lots of 7 inning plus starters, which are plentiful in 1969, you won't need to use that, it'll happen more naturally.

Do not set to maximize closer. That will limit his innings. You've invested too much $ in him to have him sitting around on the bench waiting for a lead late in the game.

Good luck
worrierking

Postby RAYMONDSTRAWN » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:43 am

I saw a team in 1969 have a reliever go 242 innings winning 18 games and saving 12. He pitched more innings than any other pitcher on his team. How does one get that to happen with a great reliever?
RAYMONDSTRAWN

Return to Strategy