Offense vs. Defense article

Postby childsmwc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:51 am

Pricing for the DH is another animal entirely. Bradley will always be the best value at DH, because he is the worst defender in the set. I would rather price everyone appropriately to play in the field, as opposed to forcing certain hitters to be priced only as DH's. Effectively when the worst defenders are used at DH, their negative fielding component in their pricing is no longer applicable.

What improves Bradley's value further is his high injury rating and the additional discount that brings.
childsmwc

Postby childsmwc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:57 am

Maligned,

When I price to the optimal park, there is quite a bit that goes into that which already has an averaging effect. Its not as simple as taking the maximum value in the three park environments. That is just step one.

I will revisit the process, but I think the issue with Pedroia and Rollins is one of defensive pricing. Since defense is a constant regardless of park in the pricing model. the value of defensive players goes up in a pitchers park. this effect may or may not be completely accurate, but I think most people have a hard time paying for Pedroia because alot of his price is tied up in his defense.
childsmwc

Postby maligned » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:44 pm

I see. That's clear. Wow. It sounds like the pricing process is a lot of fun. :)
maligned

Postby DonFESQ » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:41 pm

any way to get this article again. I have somehow misplaced my copy and the link in the original post is no longer good.

Thanks.
DonFESQ

Postby TSN_3143 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:29 pm

Diamond Dope provides this link to Dean's TSN blog:

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/DeanTSC/183374/

Once you are there, Dean's blog gives this link to the article:

http://silenceisdefeat.com/~meandean/som/OffensevsDefense.zip
TSN_3143

Previous

Return to Strategy