BPHR Ratings

BPHR Ratings

Postby hechojazz » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:54 pm

So, at what point in your BPHR ratings do you stop worrying so much about those pesky little # signs on the pitchers cards? So far I've played hitters parks (Wrigley, Miller), and have learned the value of the cards lacking in such designations. But I'll betcha than in a pitchers park, or a park less friendly to the HR in any case, value can be found in looking to other things in a card, regardless of the frequency of #s, right? When would that be? I'm sure it is also a function of other divisional parks, since you can't always pitch at home. But assuming you're not in a division with a bunch of Coors stadiums, what do you use as a good rule of thumb for the cutoff between home stadiums where #s are feared, to those where they aren't the focus of your analysis?

:roll:
hechojazz

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:14 pm

Easy answer is: there is no such rule of thumb. It all depends on how you spend the money.

Let's say to select to go with a pitcher's friendly ballpark.

The first question to ask is: how much do I spend on offense and pitching?

In the build-up process, if you end up concluding that you need a top-notch *SP. To suit your ballpark, either Santana (3/3), Sheets (3/1) or Schilling (0/6) are better candidates than Zambrano (0/0) or Clemens (0/1). In this group of players, the cutoff is around 2/3.

If what you are missing is a fifth starter costing 2M, then it changes. In this category, a pitcher like Prior, who has the same BPHR rating as Sheets (3/1), is much more a candidate for a offensive-friendly stadium than for a pitcher-friendly stadium. In pitcher-friendly stadiums, I would rather turn to Bonderman (5/4), Vazquez (7/3), or Maddux (8/1) (to limit myself to rhp).

Same argument for offense. If you play in Coors and want to spend some money on ss, you'll turn to ARod or Tejada (both 8/6). If you plan to spend only 2 or 3M, then you will be satisfied with less BPHR (say Crosby, or 2.56M-A.Gonzalez), neither of which are of interest in a pitcher-friendly park.
MARCPELLETIER

Postby ANDYCOCHRANE » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:11 pm

How about in a neutral park such as Yankee stadium? What consideration should be given to BPHR's for pitcher or hitter? Obviously you have to worry less about pitcher BPHR's than at Coors but how much?
ANDYCOCHRANE

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:12 am

IMO, there is no advantage to be in a neutral stadium, other than having complete freedom to fully adapt your team to exploit the weaknesses of your divisional opponents.

Thus, in a neutral park, if I see my divisional opponents all going with Coors team, I would then select pitchers given up no BPHR. If, on contrary, they all select pitchers-friendly, then I would turn to pitching giving up more BPHR.
MARCPELLETIER

Return to Strategy