Aggressive vs. Very Aggressive? When do you do it?

Aggressive vs. Very Aggressive? When do you do it?

Postby JOHNMADDEN » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:14 am

Ok, so after stinking it up and then putting a 11 game win streak together, I have lost 3 straight...gotta love baseball! My question is- when do decide to put it full throttle and go very aggressive vs aggressive? I am trying to set my lineups day by day vs my opponents, and need some expert advice. If you face a team with outfielders 0 0 +1 throwing range, is it time to go very aggressive? Just an example. When do you switch your strategy vs. outfielders or catchers? Thanks!

Here is a link to my team:

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2007/team/team_other.html?user_id=6000
JOHNMADDEN

Postby Mean Dean » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:39 am

I don't think it makes sense to change these settings, because I believe that, rather than governing how often you go given a decent success percentage, what they govern is the actual minimum percentage at which you choose to go. Thus, if you are going against bad arms, the situation is already taken care of -- there will naturally be more situations that match your minimum percentage -- and you don't need to do anything to take advantage of it. Indeed, setting the aggressiveness higher needlessly gives away some of the advantage, by making you run at lower percentages. I am not totally sure of this, but I'm pretty sure.

By this logic, the only time it might make sense to ramp up your aggressiveness is, not when the catcher necessarily has a bad arm, but when he has a high T-rating (which translates into throwing errors.) Probably doesn't even come up enough to spend time every day checking for it.
Mean Dean

Postby toshiro » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:21 am

If you accept a SB success rate of 65% (or even a little higher), base running should be set to the maximum aggressiveness.

When you steal a base, you get a runner in scoring position (who winds up stranded frequently). When you try to stretch the base runner, typically for home, success means you score a run. So if you'll accept 35% caught/out just to have the option of scoring a run, what % caught/out would you accept to actually score a run? I'd have to imagine you'd go as low as 50% easily.

As DeanTSC points out, the bonus is that trailing runners advance, so even if you get thrown out, the run scoring situation remains for the following hitter.
toshiro

Postby nhsteven » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:36 pm

The Very Agressive Setting is a bad choice. I had an elite stealer (Dave Roberts) get caught stealing at 3rd base at inopportune times as a result.
nhsteven

Postby TSN_3143 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:11 pm

I'm a little surprised that more pp aren't using VA from time to time. For myself, it takes a combination of several poor defensive guys for me to pull the trigger, but I would not hesitate to set VA for SBs, bunting or base running if I feel the def will respond poorly to any of those areas. Do I do it often? No, very infrequently, but I do like to pull it out of the bag of tricks. If you use VA on bunting you do want to have a bunch of good bunters on your team.

Turbo
TSN_3143

Postby LA Bear » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:06 pm

Base Running?

Normal

Aggressive

Very Aggressive

What do tehy correspond too? Is it take the extra base when chances are 1-13 or better for normal, 1-11 for aggressive and 1-9 for very aggressive? Does anyone have some guestimates on this?
LA Bear

Return to Strategy