CLUTCH RATINGS

CLUTCH RATINGS

Postby hechojazz » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:55 pm

$ -- Clutch hitting symbol. If there are two outs and a runner is in scoring position, the symbol is reversed. A hit reading would become a popout and an out reading would become a single **.

Okay - I want to make sure I understand this. The following is from Ivan Rodriguez's card:

$7- fly(cf)B?

Does that mean if there's 2 outs and a runner in scoring position, that roll will be a single**? And if it is any other scenario it'll be a deep flyout to CF (in which case if that runner in scoring position is on third, he'll score anyway?)

And furthermore...this is from Mike Lamb's card:

$12- [b:a7de6b445a]SINGLE(cf) [/b:a7de6b445a]

Does that mean he hits a single to CF on that roll, UNLESS it is a clutch scenario, in which case it is a popout? And if so, is it a popout to any particular position that could involve moving runners up?

If I'm correctly setting forth this rule, is it therefore the case that a good clutch player is one whose card has $ symbols in front of outs rather than hits?
hechojazz

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:40 pm

You got it all right. Nobody is moving on the pop-up.
MARCPELLETIER

Postby Mean Dean » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:42 pm

Small note that the fly(cf)B? isn't an automatic sac fly; it's the option to attempt to score on a sac fly, success chance depending on the runner's speed and fielder's arm. (That's what the question mark at the end means. fly(cf)B would be an automatic sac fly.) But yeah, the important thing is the concept that good clutch means a $ rating in front of outs, and conversely the opposite.
Mean Dean

Return to Strategy