Best setup man?

Postby tersignf » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:11 pm

that's all really good info I wasn't aware of. I did know about the 2 days in a row thing, but not the C-rating implications in transition situations.

My question actually centered on whether there's some longer term wear-factor that builds up over the season, either through exceeding a percentage of actual stat innings or games etc.

like a modifiable switch in the s/w somewhere.

Man I like the boardgame version better!
tersignf

Postby visick » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:20 am

"My question actually centered on whether there's some longer term wear-factor that builds up over the season, either through exceeding a percentage of actual stat innings or games etc."

None that I know of...
visick

Postby visick » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:23 am

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/2005/team/team_other.html?user_id=11311

Here's K-Rod on a team of mine. 2nd most innings thrown on this team @ Fenway. No long term effects except a last place finish... :cry:
visick

Postby tersignf » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:44 pm

Thanks Socal. Now I know why some of my high priced bullpens were getting shelled more often than they should, with lines like 3 innings and 12 runs in the last 3 innings of a game. I went back and looked and low and behold...save situation each time where I either didn't have a closer or had a rested closer who was a C0 or something.
tersignf

Postby Coffeeholic » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:35 am

Mike, thanks for posting rule: 28.33!

This has me re-thinking my bullpen usage. :(

Still like Lidge as set-up and closer both ways, do not enter before 7th though.
Coffeeholic

Postby MICHAELTARBELL » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:46 am

[quote:9b88253be8]My question actually centered on whether there's some longer term wear-factor that builds up over the season, either through exceeding a percentage of actual stat innings or games etc.
[/quote:9b88253be8]

There is no season long, cumulative effect on a pitchers fatigue. The fatigue is based on his R and C rating only on a per game basis....

Yes Coffee, I have used that strategy...and also have just put him in as Setup, and left closer blank, and many time HAL uses him anyway!

No real way of knowing what HAL will do, but as someone stated earlier, a fatigued Lidge is still better than most cheap closers!! :)
MICHAELTARBELL

Postby TomSiebert » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:08 pm

I had Gagne pitch three games in a row in this 2005 season, so the two days thing doesn't always hold absolutely true.

tws
TomSiebert

Postby Paul5757 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:31 am

So, how should my settings be for this bp:

Benitez
Embree
Timlin
Mateo
Leicaster

Currently, I have Benitez set as closer (duh) avoid using before 8th inning, with Embree as setup for LH and Mateo for RH. I have Mateo set on quick hook, avoid LH. Leicaster is also set for quick hook, avoid LH. My "placeholder" starter is Haren, set as mop up, who HAL has been using.

My rotation is Garcia, Glavine, Martinez, Hernandez. Except for Glavine, they've been getting to the 8th fairly consistently. Should I use Benitez as both closer and setup, or stick with what I have to avoid fatigue for Benitez? The setup I have has been working (in a public league, so maybe I'm just in a bad league).
Paul5757

Postby 1crazycanuk » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:26 pm

Tom Gordon is my set up man and I am happy with him.
1crazycanuk

Postby korkie » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:54 am

[quote:edaaaedc03]Actually, you will notice that relievers do not pitch more than 2 games in a row...[/quote:edaaaedc03]

I know that's what the rule says but Tom is right, it's simply not true. I went back and looked and on the first 2 teams I looked at I found relievers who've pitched in 3 straight games by looking only on the "last 10 games pitched" feature. I'm sure I would have found more if it showed the entire season log. Also note in both instances that it was not an extra inning game, nor was the pitcher the last one in due to nobody else being available.
korkie

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy