New day dawns League Chat

Postby 1959elroy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:50 am

This has been a long wait. Nice you started this thread. If I had any wisdom to impart I would. Visited Thermopolis once, oddly enough Coffee was there! Meanwhile, if anyone cares: http://www.townofthermopolis.com/

The 80M salary cap is a great equalizer and leaves us all with a few more holes than we would like. Here is hoping the rebuilt HAL shines favorably on you.
1959elroy

Postby rossarino » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:29 am

IMO you can never have enough pitching. I've had some success with all hitting teams but have done better with good pitching. I'm not sure about this team. I like my pitching but don't know if I'll have enough hitting? Looks like I'll finally start to find out tonight!
rossarino

Postby oldhat2 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:57 am

[quote:2741725157="sonofelch"]IMO you can never have enough pitching. I've had some success with all hitting teams but have done better with good pitching. I'm not sure about this team. I like my pitching but don't know if I'll have enough hitting? Looks like I'll finally start to find out tonight![/quote:2741725157]
You have the pitching all right! Nice team speed and defense too. Venters is the best reliever in this set I think. You should be tough to beat!
oldhat2

Postby joethejet » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Whoa, is Canterbury really going to go with 28 players? :shock:
joethejet

Postby rossarino » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:25 pm

I've had good results with Venters and Papelbon. Mixed results with other relievers I've tried. Canterbury's got a good looking team. I always struggle to come up with enough money for 24 players.
rossarino

Postby joethejet » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:39 pm

[quote:45f3af30d3="sonofelch"]I've had good results with Venters and Papelbon. Mixed results with other relievers I've tried. Canterbury's got a good looking team. I always struggle to come up with enough money for 24 players.[/quote:45f3af30d3]

Me too!
joethejet

Chapter One

Postby JohnCoffee » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:39 pm

Where to begin the story of Thermopolis (or Buffalos can't see cars)? Best to start the tale at the beginning. Well Elroy and I were working for Furnco, an industrial construction outfit outta Buffalo, NY that specialized in relining blast furnaces and coke ovens - not South American but good ole USA coal. You dumps the processed coal (coke) along with some Iron ore into the top of a fired-up blast furnace and out from the bottom cpmes liquid steel. But I digress.

We had both just graduated from collage and used the miracle of a xerox machine to make copies of the SOM cards and fielding charts. After all this was back in the mid-70s, just before disco and Jimmah Carter. I was working on a blast furnace reline for Colorado Fuel and Iron (CF&I) in Pueblo, Colorado; Elroy was working in Missoula, Montana doing some smelter construction. We both had an SOM jones and being young foolish dudes with nothing to lose, we settled on meeting in Thermopolis, Wyoming for a Hunter S Thompson weekend of ether and SOM.

To be continued....mebbe
:shock: :roll:
JohnCoffee

Coke furnace's

Postby oldhat2 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Cool...Strat fix taken care of then. Keep the story coming. Love to hear the lengths people go for the game.
oldhat2

Chapter 2

Postby 1959elroy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:51 am

Ashland, KY

After the drubbing at Coffee's hand in Thermopolis. We met some years later for a marathon near Armco Steel. Not as big a marathon as those crazy guys recently in New York. But 14 hours seemed like a lot! Coffee's home run hitters (he has always been like that) finally cooled just enough for me to eek out a series win. Buddy Bell was MVP and always played well for me. I am sure you all have some of those too.

BTW, when playing the dice version do you have the offense or defense roll?
1959elroy

Previous

Return to Individual League Chat