Summer - Winter Keeper League Chat

Postby tcochran » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:42 pm

Draft on hold for the moment.

See http://forums.sportingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=4883109#4883109
tcochran

Postby kaviksdad » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:54 pm

Let's put this here so we don't have to follow 2 threads:

[quote:26edc614d8]DreamingTree posted:

I quit, and I will explain. I understand the draft is from 10 am to 10 pm, but you can make picks past 10pm if you choose. Furthermore, I understand most people have a few proxies setup, and as a result people are unable to choose when they make their pick. However, people can choose when to make a manual pick. When I went to bed last night around 1:00 am EST, there were still about 4 or 5 picks in front of me. I woke up around 11:30am, and the first thing I did was to look to if my pick was up. I was, and I made my pick.

However, I did not look at the time the last few picks were made. It looks like people, or proxies occurred all throughout the night stopping at 4:40 am, but someone, who was in front of me, made their pick at 10:45 am. First, there have been multiple times were people have waited for others to make their pick; for example it took someone around 4 to 5 hours yesterday afternoon to make their pick. Did anyone complain? No, I guess most people understand that others have a life outside of this draft, and outside variables can influence when they make their pick. The latter was just one example, there have been multiple times were others have waited for the person to make their pick.

What I am upset about, is that the person if front of me could not wait like everyone else has. No one has complained the entire week about waiting for others. I could understand if it was 1:00pm or 2:00 pm, and I had not made my pick, but it was 45 minutes past 10:00am, the agreed upon start time, not to mention all the person in front of me had to do was just look, and see all the picks in front of mine were proxies executed throughout the night.

Good Luck to ya'll, and I apologize to those who have been patient throughout the week.[/quote:26edc614d8]

Tcochran's response:

[quote:26edc614d8]Hi dreamingtree. We noticed early on in the draft that the draft site seems to carry an odd time for the first pick each day -- that's probably what happened today.

I don't know for a fact, but my guess would be that the screwy time on the site clock passed and then the next manager saw it was his time to pick.

Should that have happened? No. Does it have to be a crisis? Also, no.

It looks like there were 12 picks made between 10AM and noon, the proper window for your draft pick. Do I understand correctly that you wanted to draft one of those 12 players?

If so, then that's not a problem. We can reset the draft to pick #258 and pick up there again.

I have placed the draft on hold for now -- "RAIN DELAY" status -- until we resolve this.

Who do you wish to draft for pick #258? [/quote:26edc614d8]
kaviksdad

Postby kaviksdad » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:03 pm

T - I would recommend we do not restart the draft at pick #258. Redoing the pick from earlier on would be a logistical mess that most likely wouldn't be corrected until sometime tomorrow.

Not sure what the problem is exactly, but I don't see any player picked during that span that would be irreplaceable to anyone, imho.

IF we need to look for a replacement owner let's get it over with as soon as we can.

And for the record, just because no one has complained about delays in picking doesn't mean that there are no complaints. Not that I'm complaining mind you, but as someone who has participated in over 100 live drafts, I know that some must be a little irritated. The most common complaint I've heard over the years is seeing the same names at every long pause in the draft. Whether that's happened here is up for opinion. Personally I've thought we've moved along well.
kaviksdad

Postby tcochran » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:16 pm

Follow-up from the other thread:

[quote:66b861b363="dreamingtree#41"]I apologize for such a harsh reaction. However, the reason I was pissed was that no one has brought up any issue of people taking more than the 2 hour agreed upon time limit per pick. If the latter issue was brought up before now, then I would not have thought twice about what happened, and I would have had a few proxies set just in case something happened.

Honestly, I dont mind people taking more than the allocated time limit to a reasonable degree (if someone has not picked in over 24 hours, and has not contacted someone, then that is a different manner) because I understand situations can occur that result in someone's delay.

If we are able to go back to pick 258, then that is fine with me. However, I would like to make the time issue more clear from hear on out so this does not happen again to me, or anyone else. Personally, I dont mind someone taking more time than allocated, but not an unreasonable amount, such as more than 24 hours. I understand that an "unreasonable" amount could be hard to define, but not that hard.[/quote:66b861b363]

And my response:

[quote:66b861b363="tcochran"]Sorry about my own slow response. Comcast had an outage in our area for a few hours. Ugh!

I don't know whether I made an error in setting up the draft or if there's a bug in the software. Either way, I'm sure we can solve this and get moving again.

So, dreamingtree, who were you unable to pick at #258?[/quote:66b861b363]
tcochran

Postby tcochran » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:49 pm

[quote:ef47b62bb3="tcochran"][quote:ef47b62bb3="dreamingtree#41"]I would like Justin Masterson for pick 258.[/quote:ef47b62bb3]

If I understand correctly, instead of Carrasco as your pick #258, you would have taken Masterson, right?

And Masterson was selected by Knight's proxy at #264 because your turn had been skipped in error.

So...

KNIGHT, in order to get this ship sailing down the stream again, will you agree to let dreamingtree take Masterson?

And if so, who would you like as a replacement at pick #264?[/quote:ef47b62bb3]

Pasted from other discussion thread. I agree with KD that all league discussion in the future should be in this individual league chat thread.
tcochran

Postby tcochran » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:59 pm

I probably should not fan the flames, but just for the record, it seems to me that there are many available choices better than either Masterson or Carrasco. I guess I just don't understand what this was all about.

Anyhoo, KNIGHT, can you help us move along here?

Thanks!
tcochran

Postby jmccully61 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:59 pm

[quote="tcochran"][quote:59147c8e0c="tcochran"][quote:59147c8e0c="dreamingtree#41"]I would like Justin Masterson for pick 258.[/quote:59147c8e0c]

If I understand correctly, instead of Carrasco as your pick #258, you would have taken Masterson, right?

[/quote:59147c8e0c]

Correct
jmccully61

Postby jmccully61 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:05 pm

As for pick 271, which has been skipped as well, I dont want either of the 3 players that have already been chosen. I dont know if you need me to give you that pick when Knight is done, or I pick a player through Somdraft.com. I just want to make sure I pick him before the proxies execute. I will check in every 15 to 20 minutes.
jmccully61

Postby tcochran » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:07 pm

To keep this discussion transparent and open to all, here's the PM I just sent to KNIGHT:

Hi, KNIGHT. I don't know if you've been following all of the drama on the SWKL discussion threads, but it seems that the draft sequencing got messed up this morning.

dreamingtree's turn was skipped in error -- he should have had a window of opportunity from 10AM until noon -- and he says he would have selected Masterson for pick #258. You selected Masterson at #264, because the draft site said he was still available when your proxies fired at 11:00.

Will you relinquish Masterson and select someone else for your pick #264? If so, then we can get the draft moving again and get ready to actually play the season!

Thanks!!!
Last edited by tcochran on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tcochran

Postby tcochran » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:17 pm

By the way, JMP posed a good question earlier, as to whether folks were actually watching these threads (or just being annoyed that the draft had stalled).

If you will send me your email addresses, I will make sure that correspondence about these types of issues goes to all managers.

I already have KD's address from another league. For other managers, please PM me or send directly to tcochran@boomernet.com

Thanks!
tcochran

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat